Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter

GTE_LETS Mk2 cabby 'Icy'

Here's the story, the day after the decision was made to break my cabby, I had an email from a guy who is registered on the Mk2 site, but wasn't very good at the forum lark, so he asked me if I knew of anyone in the market for a glacier white convertible...I wasn't planning on looking for one until the burgundy one had all gone, so I was a bit like ummm errrr, OK tell me about it.

74k miles, 5 owners from new, last owner (the guy selling it) has had her for 12 years, new hood 5 years ago, and its like new, rare 1.6 auto (built for an ex director of vauxhall's wife), MOT'd and taxed until August, very good condition for age blah blah blah.

So after several emails back and forwards, and some pictures being sent my way, the decision was to go the 2.5 hour journey to go and see the car, it was just a matter of trying to time when, so my mum was available to look after Hope, my dad so he could drive it back, and the guy to be there and not at work.

I had a phone call this morning from Bob (the owner) asking if there was a chance I could go and look today, as he wasn't at work, but it was a no-no from me, as my mum works Monday mornings, and it would have been too tight time wise to get back for the school run at 3pm, so he then offered to drive the car down for me to see (shock). What a result lol

He arrived with his son Ian in a separate car (just in case) and as I saw the car pull up, it was lurve at first sight. Even though I had seen pictures of it, I really didn't expect it to be a clean as it actually is.

After the courtesy poking and prodding, peering under the car (my knees are too old for that lol) we agreed on a price of £725

Anyway, enough of the chat, here's the pictures that I was sent, I will have to take more as there are a few minor bits that need sorting, but nothing major.

Meet Icy

Plans, (as you can guess) is to run her as she is this show season, then take out the auto box, drop the turbo'd engine in, and away we go

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Now here is my dilemma...yes the burberry is rare nowadays, but I dont like it. Might have to start a poll as to whether to keep it, or sell it and get the little bits sorted on the car?

(I've got the interior from the other car that could go in)

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    There's a 2.0 8v being built specifically to go into a mk2 (there's a thread on astra mk2 about it).

Plus, Im not a fan of auto's I'm afraid, and when my dad test drove it for me, he said it takes aaaaaaages to change gear. His advice to me was to actually not buy the car if I was keeping it as an auto.

Bodywork wise, nothing is being changed after the ickle bubbles of rust are sorted

And okay, you might have all persuaded me to keep the gay interior (its got the typical drivers seat wear and tear though, so has a cover on atm.)

EDIT: Ive got to squeeze a FMIC on there somewhere, but hopefully in a stealth way.

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Time for an update I think...

Well a couple of weeks ago, I got the car insured (£149 fully comp, you gotta love classic car insurance lol) and decided that I ought to actually teach myself to drive an automatic car, so off I jollied for a little drive around the town, and seemed to get on with it no probs.

Bought her out again yesterday as it was nice and sunny, and gave her a quick wash as where shes been sat at my parents house, she had a fair few leaves on the roof and seeing as I hadn't washed her since I've had her, I thought I should!

For some reason, the bonnet looks a different shade of white in the first pic, but it's not

Nice mileage shot

We discovered that the roof does actually leak, as it seems not to seal properly at the top of the windows, but I'm hoping it must have been the angle that I threw the water at the car to rinse her off lol

Discovered the head unit only seemed to want to play the first 3 tracks of my CD, then would pop itself onto the radio, so a new cheap as chips CD player was bought.

I had decided that the burberry interior just had to go, so sorry to everybody who told me to keep it, but I just really didn't 'dig' it I'm afraid, so she went from this:

To this:

Much tidier IMO

She still has the burberry door cards in at the minute as the ones I got with the other interior have got speaker holes cut in them, right where my windy down window winder needs to go

Also had a really good look under the bonnet, and there is barely any room for a 'stealth' FMIC, so it is probably going to have to be an in your face one now.

The next update probably wont be until she gets the auto box removed and changed to a manual and the turbo engine will go in (that will be a job and a half!)

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well...update time again I guess..she went for her MOT today, she wasn't due until the 6th, but thought a couple of days early wouldn't do any harm.

Guess what?

She bloody failed

Considering she passed last year with no advisories (hmmm makes you wonder doesn't it seeing as she only has done about 3k since then), I was slightly confident that if she did fail, it would only be on something minor.

Soooo the list starts here:

Rear reg light not working

o/s side repeater not working

o/s front and rear seat belt anchorage perscribed area is inadequately repaired

n/s rear seat belt anchorage perscribed area is excessively corroded

Parking brake efficiency below requirements.

It seems when the sills were patched up before the previous guy didn't cut enough of the old sill away, so its rotting from the inside out

Advisory items:

n/s and o/s coil spring corroded

Rear flexi hose ferrules starting to deteriorate.

Not too bad I guess considering its a 21 year old car, but still a bit annoying. Before anyone says anything about me not changing bulbs, this garage are really good and will just swap the bulbs for you if they have gone and not fail the car unless its got other things wrong with it.

She's booked in for the welding etc on Friday, so unless something major happens while they are doing that bit, she should come home with a nice new MOT, and I won't get charged for a retest/partial retest

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well she went back for the welding work on Friday and the other bits and bobs, and she now her 12 months MOT

Only down side is they didn't give me back my locking wheel nut key, and the locking nut seems to have gone walkies as well...so I'm going back today to collect that, but as of Sat when I sopke to them, they hadn't found the locking bolt

Oh, grand total for the work was £92, so quite a bit less than I expected so that was a bonarse