Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Points on license & insurance question

Hi all,

Got flashed the other day so waiting for the ticket to come through. I'll be expecting 3 points and £60 slip. My insurance is up for renewal in the next few weeks and I'm doing everything I can to renew my policy before the points are put on my license.

Then I thought today - if points are put on a license while a policy is held, can they charge you more there and then or can they only charge you more at renewal? I've had a look around the net and people say different things.

Also, part of my job is driving one of the vehicles and if any points are on my license, the vehicle can't be driven. Now I'd rather have a £500 fine than points, but I know that won't happen. Has anyone had any luck in arguing a case against being given points and received an alternative punishment?

Thanks.

- Comments concerning "shouldn't have sped then should you" or "didn't you see the big yellow box" will be highly appreciated and taken on board.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Speak to your insurance company direct, ask them what there policy is, some companies will allow you to wait untill renewal, others will want to know straight away.

Best bet is to be honest and upfront, then they have no excuse for voiding your insurance when you have a prang and haven't declared your points.

There's no point trying to trick the system, it will bite you on the arse.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

kr00zin_uk
    I think the points are back dated to the date of the offence and either way you have to inform your insurance company of any changes as soon as you can, because otherwise it can invalidate your policy.

I don't think anything can be done about the points. Unless you are offered a safety awareness course for minor offences, in which case you do get a bigger fine to cover the cost of the course.

You can sometimes get out of license disqualifications on the basis that you need your license for your job, but to be honest it is very rare and only for certain offences and also at the discretion of the judge.

As your job requires a clean license, in the future I wouldn't risk speeding/driving offences at all...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As your job requires a clean license, in the future I wouldn't risk speeding/driving offences at all...
    Ah I wish you had told me that before. Did you read the last bit of my post?

There were a number of things that caused me to get caught, driving in an area I didn't know late at night, dual carriage way with a 30 limit - rare and a group of youths in a clio infront all over the road dicking about so I wanted to get past them. I'd estimate I was flashed at around 36.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how fast were you over?? if it under 8mph over the limit you may be offered a driver awareness course but you cant apply it will only be offered usually if it your first offence! good luck let us know what happens

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Will do mdpburn.

I'd reckon around the high 30s personally. Yes it is my first offence. So will have to wait and see.

Best bet is to be honest and upfront, then they have no excuse for voiding your insurance when you have a prang and haven't declared your points.
    It's not a case of me declaring my points, they check my license themselves but I didn't know if they get informed DURING a policy and then have the right to send me a bill for £XXX to continue my policey or whether they can't charge me any more until my policy is up for renewal again. If it is the latter, I'll just drag it out by asking for photo evidence etc until my insurance has been renewed.

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
    Will do mdpburn.

I'd reckon around the high 30s personally. Yes it is my first offence. So will have to wait and see.

It's not a case of me declaring my points, they check my license themselves but I didn't know if they get informed DURING a policy and then have the right to send me a bill for £XXX to continue my policey or whether they can't charge me any more until my policy is up for renewal again. If it is the latter, I'll just drag it out by asking for photo evidence etc until my insurance has been renewed.
    There is no good reason for speeding, but I don't have a problem with people that do it safely, however I was only saying that if you need a 100% clean license for your job then there should be no exceptions as it just isn't worth the risk. You may be lucky and the film may have been full, so keep ya fingers crossed matey.

On the subject of your insurance company being in informed, no they will not get informed automatically. However technically you will be driving without insurance as it will be void if you do not declare driving offences.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On the subject of your insurance company being in informed, no they will not get informed automatically. However technically you will be driving without insurance as it will be void if you do not declare driving offences.
    I didn't know that. That's so bizarre!? Surely loads of people must not declare points. Insurance is a legal requirement so how come they don't have access to details of license etc?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest mate you shouldn't have sped then really should you. And how didn't you see the big yellow box!!!
    2002 Vauxhall Astra Coupe 888 no.42

azi
    i just been caught doing 39 in a 30 by a speed van and i have recieved my fine but then they asked me if i wanted to attend a driver awareness course, i am now booked onto one in april, that was my first offence, its best off to just admit fault and who knows what could happen... i did and i am happy with the outcome, no points but 60 quid outta pocket. nothing really.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast