Makes my blood boil!
Hospital payout after saving life
Blackburn Royal Infirmary
Mr Dexter was treated at Blackburn Royal Infirmary
A Lancashire hospital has paid out £90,000 to a man who sued them after doctors saved his life.
Michael Dexter, 58, was taken to Blackburn Royal Infirmary in December 2002, after swallowing pills washed down with rum and cola.
Doctors at Blackburn Royal Infirmary saved his life but gave him an excessive amount of neutralising drugs which left his right arm damaged.
He has now been given damages in an out-of-court settlement.
Mr Dexter had to have plastic surgery and skin grafts to the tissue on his arm after suffering burn-like symptoms.
He has not worked since.
He instructed solicitors to take action against East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust and, following a legal battle, has now been given £90,000 in damages.
Mr Dexter, from Oswaldtwistle, was admitted to hospital after he took an overdose while ill with depression.
The father-of-two was given at least one 200ml dose of 8.4% sodium bicarbonate through a catheter in his arm.
An independent expert concluded that 50ml would be the usual dose if administered this way.
He attempted to take his life a second time, three years later.
A statement released by the hospital trust said: "East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust is pleased that agreement has been reached with Michael Dexter.
"This claim against the trust was in respect of an injury sustained during Mr Dexter's admission to Blackburn Royal Infirmary on 28th December 2002.
"The trust is very sorry that Mr Dexter suffered this injury and wishes him well for the future."