Thread: Couple of quick jobs + small how-to

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Couple of quick jobs + small how-to

A few people have asked about changing the reversing light switch recently when its been discussed, so thought i'd take some pictures as I did it. Not sure if someone has made a how-to before, but hey-ho, this may help a couple of people if there isn't one. Really easy job, only takes about 20mins start to finish. Was covered in oil from where the CV boot has split, so could be why it has failed.

How To - Reversing light switch

This is on a Z20LET with F23 gearbox. The switch could be in a different place on other boxes.

First off, jack up the car, get it on a axle stand and remove the passenger side front wheel.

Then locate the switch

And unplug the wiring loom

I then looped the wiring just to double check it was the switch that was faulty and not the wiring/bulbs/fuse etc. With it looped turn on the ignition and check the reversing lights, they should be lit up.

The switch is 19mm and needs a deep socket to remove. I tried with a 3/8 drive and it wouldn't fit as the socket became too narrow to fit over the connector. So you need a 1/2 drive 19mm deep socket. Easier than using a spanner, as there is a notch on the gearbox which makes it very hard to get a spanner in place.
    Unscrew the old switch, screw the new one in place and reconnect the wiring.

Just need to check its working, and then refit the wheel - JOB DONE

While the wheel was off I gave the disc a much needed paint, and repainted the calipers as well to get them look a bit fresher.
    Before

After

Also got some oil at the weekend thanks to SRi-T Keithy - Cheers . So decided to swap it and change the filter.

All in all quite a good day, and not bad going for about 2 hours work lol. One less job that needs doing before the MOT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice job what oil did you go for??????????
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Vauxhall 10w-40, for the price you can't say no to it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good lad, love days like this..........
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Well done mate good how to on the reverse switch. Did both my Astra's oil change last week.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Vauxhall 10w-40, for the price you can't say no to it.
    I thought you had to use 5w-30 in the turbo, thats what I used and 10w-40 in my wifes 1.4

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, did mine about or month or so ago, got this oil cheap so did it again lol.

Will be taking advantage of the trade club 4 for the price of 3 offer, and doing it every 6 weeks or so PMSL.

5w-30 is a bit thin, mine used loads of it. Had to top it up almost every other week. With 10w-40 the car didn't use a single drop over the last month or so. Quite a few people on here have stopped using 5w-30 now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im using Motul 5-40 300v oil.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Yeah, did mine about or month or so ago, got this oil cheap so did it again lol.

Will be taking advantage of the trade club 4 for the price of 3 offer, and doing it every 6 weeks or so PMSL.

5w-30 is a bit thin, mine used loads of it. Had to top it up almost every other week. With 10w-40 the car didn't use a single drop over the last month or so. Quite a few people on here have stopped using 5w-30 now.

Will keep an eye on my oil level then

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Reverse light switch can be changed by turning the wheel to full left lock and then reaching in to unclip the wiring and then undoing it with a spanner. 3 minute job then
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast