Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.9 CDTi 150 - Differences between Red Tuning Box & the Green One?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question 1.9 CDTi 150 - Differences between Red Tuning Box & the Green One?

Sorry if this has been done to death on here, but I'm new to all of this and I am looking to make a purchase pretty soon.

I've read on here how many people seem to have got great performance/economy gains from the DTUK Green tuning box... but when I go onto the DTUK website the Green one refers only to 'maximum economy' Why is this??!

The Red one refers to 'maximum BHP' !?

I'm lost

Does the Green box offer improved economy but also offers the same boost in bhp (up to around 200bhp on a well run in engine), or is it purely geared up for economy and offers no performance increase at all?

If this is the case, how come people claim big power from a Green box?

Does the Red box just 'max out' the BHP/Torque for power freaks and economy suffers as a result?

Also would a tuning box specified for a CDTi 150 differ from one specified for a CDTI 8v 120? (I'm wondering if I could swap it over onto the Missus' CDTi 120 Signum just as a test before buying one for her car).

Any help would be much appreciated.

J

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive not looked into them myself, but I highly doubt they will be fast swappable between 2 completely different engines

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    not sure 100% on this as i have not got one yet and am also looking into it, but from what ive read the green only really has 1 setting you just tweek it to your engine and yes it is suppose to give better economy and its plug and play which is helpful for warranty issues as you can just take it off when needed. The red is almost the same but has to be hooked up to the battery and has lots of different setting im asuming for more power or more torque etc etc. not sure on the specifics of them but think both are interchangable with different engines.
    not sure if that is much help but some one with more experiance will probably stick up a reply to help you out....
    one more thing from what ive read either is definately worth it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry* View Post
    Sorry if this has been done to death on here, but I'm new to all of this and I am looking to make a purchase pretty soon.

I've read on here how many people seem to have got great performance/economy gains from the DTUK Green tuning box... but when I go onto the DTUK website the Green one refers only to 'maximum economy' Why is this??!

The Red one refers to 'maximum BHP' !?

I'm lost

Does the Green box offer improved economy but also offers the same boost in bhp (up to around 200bhp on a well run in engine), or is it purely geared up for economy and offers no performance increase at all?

If this is the case, how come people claim big power from a Green box?

Does the Red box just 'max out' the BHP/Torque for power freaks and economy suffers as a result?

Also would a tuning box specified for a CDTi 150 differ from one specified for a CDTI 8v 120? (I'm wondering if I could swap it over onto the Missus' CDTi 120 Signum just as a test before buying one for her car).

Any help would be much appreciated.

J
    if you check out some of the RR graphs ppl have posted on here jerry the green box seems to give slightly more torque but theres not much in em to be honest, but if its economy you want then stay standard because unless you do long journeys you find yourself having to plant your foot allot simply because you have the power too.

ive got the crd2 an an man its so much fun to drive, it shocks allot of people.
    Astra 1.9 CDTI 150 xp DTUK crd2
    BHP ??? FT LBS ???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Thanks for the feedback peeps.

I'm not just after economy at all. I used to have an MG ZS180 which was tuned to just over 200bhp and it really flew. Great V6 noise and it pretty much outhandled and outpaced any normal car (barring silly spec Scoobies, Porsches etc) on the road (loads and loads of badge snobs just can't accept this but they really are one of the most underrated cars on the road).. I now do 35+ miles per day on the round trip from work and a 2.5 V6 engine likes a drink.

I opted for the excellent Astra CDTi SRi 150 hoping it would offer comparable in-gear performance and handling in a much more modern package..

All in all the car is great and it really does shift and the economy is far better. Its handling is nowhere near as good or as composed as the MG was, which is a little bit of a disappointment, but I intend to modify the springs and maybe fit strut braces to tighten it all up in time.

Firstly though I'm looking at the DTUK boxes for instant bang-for-buck fun without compromising economy and reliability. The idea of 200bhp and 300+ lb/ft of torque does sound great, especially if the economy isn't really affected (even though I'm not sure the standard suspension set up could handle it safely and tidily).. and so I'm just after a bit of guidance as to the best 'box' to get.

I'm not fussed about warranties as mine's more or less run out, and I like the idea of being able to unplug the 'box' if I want to revert the car back to normal.

J

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Green box sounds like what you need, there is plenty of people with there signature showing there RR results and most of them are in the high 190's.
    As for the economy i also have a Sri 150 and even though i dont have the green box yet the mileage you get out of a standard engine is impressive, i did a little experiment with my car a while back, have a look and see what you think,,,its a tread in the diesel section called my little trip.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chewysrixp View Post
    Green box sounds like what you need, there is plenty of people with there signature showing there RR results and most of them are in the high 190's.
    As for the economy i also have a Sri 150 and even though i dont have the green box yet the mileage you get out of a standard engine is impressive, i did a little experiment with my car a while back, have a look and see what you think,,,its a tread in the diesel section called my little trip.
    Thanks for that mate.

I'm still confused though. Why is the 'Green' box labelled as 'maximum economy' then?

J

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Not 100% sure but think both give better economy but cos the green box has really only 1 setting and the red has more giving you the opportunity to increase power which i would imagine then would have an effect on fuel.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity mate, have you considered a Remap?

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by astracolli View Post
    Out of curiosity mate, have you considered a Remap?
    Cant speak for jerry* even though we are both looking into the boxes, I have thought of a remap but not as yet as my car has 2 years warranty left and dont want that jepodised....but its an option for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast