Thread: Missing coolant - Z20LET

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Missing coolant - Z20LET

I noticed that my car is missing coolant in the past 3-4 months.
    One morning I got the "check engine coolant level" warning at my board comp, so i filled the tank to the "MAX" mark. After a few days I went to check the coolant level, and the level was 1cm under the "MAX" mark. I filled it up again, and every 50 km the car uses 1 cm of the coolant.

The car runs fine, it starts fine, idles fine. So I think it shouldn´t be the head gasket. Also there is no "mayonaise" in the oil.

What else could it be?

It started to happen since I installed the VXR turbo. But there are no visible leeks around the turbo, or anywhere on the engine (at least there where I could see them).

It´s an Astra Coupe with 59.000 KM.

It´s making me crazy...
    Astra Coupé Turbo Z20LET GT28RS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It could be the water feed to the turbo, if its only leaking a little its probably burning off before you notice a drip.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I did check the feed to the turbo, but is looks good, no trace of coolant.
    I think that it would leave a red-orange trace if it would burn on the turbo.
    Astra Coupé Turbo Z20LET GT28RS

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a leak on my header/expansion tank which I didn't notice before and it was causing the car to leak coolant. With your engine on and a piece of hose pipe have a listen in your engine bay for any hisses or sounds that shouldn't be there, as if you have a leak you'll have some sounds. Just be careful not to get caught in any moving or hot parts.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine drips coolant from the rad ... it's cracked exacly where the hose from the thermostat goes ... Its clearly visible and it wets the rad a lot, and I top up about a litre every 2 k miles so you should be able to see where it looses coolant from ... keep looking
    Look at the hoses that connect the heater rad to the engine, they are located under the power pipe!
    Also look at your electric coolant pump ... that too is hard to see and they tend to crack and leak... its located on the transmission under the battery
    Lastly what i can think of ... theres a plastic pipe under the intake manifold that connects to the coolant pump ... sometimes they crack too and being where they are its hard to see it
    The only way to be 100% certain that work has been done properly is to do it yourself.