Thread: Spraying centre console

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Spraying centre console

Why does the primer keep doing this? Have sanded back and sprayed 3 times now, and everytime it cracks.
    Seemed ok when I sprayed it with normal primer, but you could obviously still see the dips in the paint. So then tried spraying filler primer over normal primer and it still cracked!

The silver is the colour it used to be, never got it fitted to the car though as the finish was crap. The paint is so hard in places though is impossible to sand it back to bare plastic and the bits that can be sanded back then end up reacting with the rubber layer

Any tips would be nice

It had also cracked on the sides in a couple of places, but after sanding, using normal primer, and then filler primer, it hasn't cracked again. Its just the top section that now keeps cracking round the MFD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    basically the whole lot has to be back to plastic try use 320 paper then 500. degrease the plastic then use PLASTIC primer before anything else or the new paint wont last 5mins then grey primer couple coats of that thn black guide coat get everything smooth with the 500 then degrease again if your happy with the smooth part then paint away. if you want to send it to me with a colour code ill do it at work in a proper paint shop for 50 notes

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers for the reply, have been using 180 grit on it, and it won't go back to bare plastic in places lol. Problem is the normal primer + plastic primer are no good at getting a smooth surface, which is why iv'e had to resort to using the filler primer.

Its almost like where its drying, the paint is stretching and just splitting. Will keep an eye out for a new one, and just bin it I think lol. As it probably just has too many layers on it now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    180 i cant understand it should rip it apart lol. id think about getting another one like you say ive used tht high build primer on my old cavalier centre console and the same thing happened you do have to make sure its 100% dgreased tho and plastic primer is a must for anything else to stick to it