Thread: The Vec C pipe mod & jubilee clips

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The Vec C pipe mod & jubilee clips

Have done a fair bit of reading. Early reads turned up people just 'letting things hang' so to speak & having difficulty lining pipes & connectors up etc

Recently read people using cable ties. The only cable ties i have at home are flimsy thin things. Probably not even big enough to go round the pipe. No doubt if i had some, this would be the easiest option.

Thinking of the jubilee clip as i reckon it could offer a better grip & certainly easier to get off if i ever need to do so. Just don't know what size to be using really.

Have measured the pipes, which if i've measured in the correct spots where the clips should be fitted, then i'll show in the thumbnails...

Adapter onto the Vec C pipe: 27cm

End of the adapter which will fit onto/upto the airbox: 26cm

I guess this would be the right jubilee clip [ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jubilee-Hose-C...742.m153.l1262 ] Hopefully that link isn't just for 1 clip at £6.08 a pop.

I did a Halfords search which turned up sod all for jubilee clips.

Just double checking i'm on the right track, to save me from sending back the wrong item or whatever, or even, maybe they wont work at all, just thought i'd check

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    total overkill TBH

It doesn't need to be air tight, and IMO even a cable tie is not necessary. Just give the adpator pipe a ¼ turn and it stays where it's meant to

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Really? (the overkill)

From the threads i read, i got the strong impression it was a real barsteward to get the things lined up and bordering on the impossible to get them to stay there

that's the impression i got (got too dark to attack the job today so haven't started).

Well, i think i'll knock the clips on the head in that case, but i recko i'll roll with the cable ties, unless i can get the pipes to get along with each other.

Cheers

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah defo overkill

It's almost comical the amount of folk that seem to think that having a leak on that side of the airbox is gonna affect the running of the engine. I've lost count of the times that people have actually said that air will leak out of the pipe - It can't as it's under vaccum due to the engine sucking air in.

It's not that difficult to get it to line up. It certainly take a bit of time but in no was is it as bad as people seem to imply

my veccy pipe was on the car for about 2½ years and never moved - and that was by just giving it a ¼ turn (top towards the grill). When I did tke it off the pipe had actually gone round due to the heat under the bonnet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Trust me to do this

Took a saw to the mounting brackets on the Vec C pipe. Figured i would saw across the 'seal' & that should be close enough.

We now have a slit in the pipe.

I'm no expert like you guys, so, is this going to make a major difference or should i just go & buy another?

Or, thought just come to me - should i duck tape the hole up as i guess that would eliminate any air loss .... i hope??

Let me know if you can because i can call up Vaux if a new one is now needed.

D'oh me

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    duct tape will be fine

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha thats special

Yes jubilee clips is overkill, tbh the airbox holds it all in place once you have it all lined up, mine still hasnt moved

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'll happily take your reference to special in a positive way sir And not special as in special-case

In my eyes, it was just a small slit, which once taped up would've been fine. Didn't know if a significant amount of air would'could escape or not.

So figured i'd come here & double check with those in the know before i did anything.

Tomorrow i'm going to see if i can open the car door without ballsing it up

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You sure you dont need a chauffeur to do that for you hehe

Sorry just messing fella

If your that bothered about just use some silicon sealant to cover hole

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    no chauffer needed thank you, but i think i'll need training & appropriate safety gear first, just in case

Nah i'm good. I only wanted to know if it was significant damage or not. If it was & tape wasn't good enough, i'd buy a new one. As tape will do the trick, that's exactly what it'll get. Job doneth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast