Thread: Cleaning Throttle Body?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cleaning Throttle Body?

Where can I get a carb cleaner to do this job? How do I take off the throttle body? Is it just a case of undoing the bolts?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a guide in the how to's section mate, take a trip down halfords, i got mine from there.
    Mk5 Red 1.9 CDTI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    thread was asked yesterday. I've just replied to someone which has then put it on the front page. Tells you which carb cleaner & where to get from

The guide for the TB is in the how-to.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wynn's carb cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    thread was asked yesterday. I've just replied to someone which has then put it on the front page. Tells you which carb cleaner & where to get from

The guide for the TB is in the how-to.
    Hi

Wynn's carb cleaner I used last time. not bat. Around 4.50pound at Halfords,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165750

DG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it makes a noticible difference as you'll be amazed by the ammount of crap in there
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Just had a gander through 4 pages of searching "throttle body" & nae answer, so here it is...

Unless there's any special reason as to why it'd be better cleaning insitu (other than less chance of ballsing up i imagine) then i'll be planning on taking it off to give it a 'proper' clean as i have the gasket for it.

3 things:

1. What's the torque setting on those screws, or can you just hand tighten them?

2. can you move the butterfly once it is off the car (mine's a Z18XE ... F-B-Y) to get under the butterfly for the clean or can you only do this once it's connected?

3. Just wondering what these connecting hoses are, so i took snaps of them to ask
    As well as wondering what they are, which ones have to be clamped (if any) & what'd you use as i have no hose clamps really.
    anyway...

What are these that i've marked with the arrows?: I'm sure i read a guide saying the ICV was connected to the TB, but i also got told my car doesn't have one of these, so, pass...

I know the red one heads off to the coolant tank, but what's the turqoise one?:

Side shot of the above pic showing the same hoses: What i've maked with the yellow arrow looks like it should have a screw in it. Should it, because it doesn't?

Can't quite see the hose here. There's the one running into the TB from the coolant tank, and away from the TB, but under the pipe running away from it, i've marked another pipe yellow. What's that?...:

... because it ends up connecting here near the airbox:

So aye, which, if any, need clamping up & as i've no clamps, then use...?

I think i've covered all hoses. Certainly all the ones i could spot anyhow.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    yeah guys their is a how to? but it doesn't explain taking it off does it? Theirs that many tubes and wires I cant afford to mess it up

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    So you're wanting to know the same as me then ey?

As i have no clamps or anything, i suppose i could just go cable tie crazy and tie up every pipe in sight, but with that, i'm not actually learning anything either - don't know what they all are etc, which is another reason i was asking. The one i mentioned was pretty obvious to figure out. The 2nd pic i'd hazard a guess at something to do with oil, but ATEOTD i'm just guessing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Dont worry about what the hoses are for, you've done the right thing in taking a pic though, just put them all back carefully where they came from. There should be a sensor, vacuum, 2 coolant ones and some others which I presume are to do with fuelling.

Its a piece of cake job. I did it on my Vectra a month ago and its made a big difference.

You need to remove the TB completely to properly clean it, and ideally should replace the idle control valve at the same time as you have to separate it from the TB anyway. You can clean it, but I've heard mixed results about doing that, so for £30 ish from the Bay, you might as well.

You will also require a new TB-to-manifold gasket from VX(48p ish) and a new ICV to TB gasket (should come with the ICV)

Open the butterfly fully when cleaning it, you dont need ot take it off imo.

HTH
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IainL View Post
    Dont worry about what the hoses are for,
    I'm not worried mate, i'd just like to know. Not much point in doing a job if you don't fully understand what's going on etc. As said, it's all part of learning.

Anyway, a couple things:

you mention the ICV. As i said earlier, i was told my car doesn't have an ICV. Now, clearly i don't know the answer to that, but when some say i don't have it & some say i do .... someone is going to be wrong & i dunno who. lol

I've got the gasket at the ready. £1.02 it cost me from Vaux, but either way, yeah it was cheap enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast