Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear tyre wear, is it due to ARB?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear tyre wear, is it due to ARB?

I have a problem with unusual tyre wear on the rear of my MK4 coupe turbo (had the same problem on a MK4 SRi). The inside of each rear tyre is worn, but it is not smooth like you get with a front wheel tracking problem, it has flat spots all round the inside of the tyre. I have heard it call 50 pencing, because the inside of the tyre is now like a 50p.
    I asked the local tyre fitter and they do see it on some cars not just MK4s, but the guy could not really explain what causes it and how to cure the problem.
    The car is fitted with a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar. Could this be the cause? Does anybody with a rear ARB have the same problem and does anybody know if there is a way to stop it? Maybe with camber/castor adjustment??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello , I had a small abnormal wear issue with my rear tyres on my 1.8 astra coupe which i later found out was due to a broken rear spring on the offside , other than checking the whole of the rear suspension beam thoughly ( mine passed 3+ MOT's with broken spring ) i cant really suggest much else .

Thankyou

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaylo View Post
    I have a problem with unusual tyre wear on the rear of my MK4 coupe turbo (had the same problem on a MK4 SRi). The inside of each rear tyre is worn, but it is not smooth like you get with a front wheel tracking problem, it has flat spots all round the inside of the tyre. I have heard it call 50 pencing, because the inside of the tyre is now like a 50p.
    I asked the local tyre fitter and they do see it on some cars not just MK4s, but the guy could not really explain what causes it and how to cure the problem.
    The car is fitted with a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar. Could this be the cause? Does anybody with a rear ARB have the same problem and does anybody know if there is a way to stop it? Maybe with camber/castor adjustment??
    No i had the same problem when i didn't have a RARB, sounded like a wheel bearing anyway went and spoke to a mate at VX and he said some of the VX cars do wear like that and that if you had the same model it wont necessarily wear the same way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its down to when you lower your car, the rear camber is out and you tyres wear on inside, the tread steps. you can feel it when your rub hand along outside tread. your tyres are cambered and towed out slightly. this is what causes the strange wear and wheel bareing noise. i was told by a race rally place. so when you lower, have you tracking and camber looked at alround, it will save your tyres. try get it done the digital way (two sensors either side of car on ramp lift, and 4 satelite things on your wheels, its very accurate, unlike my spelling!) laser way is not very accurate. if your lowering more than 40mm, i think you need the camber bolts like what eibach do. there is only so much you can adjust if you dont get them.

again this is what i was told, and i can see there is truth in it personally
    the black Opel Sri-t with bbs ch alloys and
    Eds3.5

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow ColuGav On Twitter
    why would your camber be out with a rear torsion beam? I was always under the impressing that no matter how much the rear drops it'll always be vertical?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the replys and thoughts.

I don't think it is a broken spring. They were fine when it was MOTd in January and I checked them myself when it was in the air.

So it can't be the rear ARB if it happens to cars without the ARB and I believe it happens to other makes and models.

The car hasn't been lowered. It is on standard coupe springs and shocks. The SRi I had was lowered 40mm on PI springs and shocks and had the same wear pattern. So it seems to happen at different ride heights!

I thought it might be something to do with camber. I phone LMF thinking that since they sell shims for the rear of the MK4 that maybe they would have come across this problem over the years, but the guy I spoke to was not able to offer any explanation.

I don't really want to get the alignment checked until I know what the solution would be. Can anybody tell me what the rear alignement/geometry should be and suggest what a good modified setup would be?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you're eyes are good you'll know by looking that the rear camber is out...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe it is due to the camber even though the car hasn't been lowered.

I just ckecked to see what Eibach says about shims for the rear alignment and it does mention about uneven tyre wear. So maybe this is the answer???

EZ Shim rear camber/toe adjustment shim kits.

Changing the ride height of your car is likely to alter its suspension geometry. The Eibach Pro Alignment kits allow you to adjust camber and toe with a single shim, optimising handling and reducing uneven tyre wear.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Camber doesn't change on fixed beam due to the nature of how the wheels fit

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Enigma, I see what you are saying. THe rear wheels just move up and down where as the fronts would move in an arc as they travel up and down. So if camber is the cause of the problem then it must have left the factory with the fault!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast