Thread: Not enough room, moving head unit to slot below, more space?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not enough room, moving head unit to slot below, more space?

I've searched but can't find much about this... i've noticed you can move the head unit down to the lower din slot. Is there more space for the wires behind there?

The reason i ask this is that i have a stupid amount of wires behind my head unit and no space to squeeze them in . I removed the vauxhall mounting cage but there seems to be another cage-type thing at the back. Can/should i remove this too to fit the head unit?

I'm not really sure what to do...

Also, are there any panels which i could easily remove to help access the back (to move wires about and squeeze them in)? Like the glove bot or something... For example, fitting a power cable for an amp you can remove the small compartment to see the grommet/access the fuse box.

Thanks,
    Sam

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes there is a bit more room at the back for wires in the bottom slot.

Glovebox is easy to remove, only held in by six T20 screws. That gives lots of access to rear of headunit.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Yes there is a bit more room at the back for wires in the bottom slot.

Glovebox is easy to remove, only held in by six T20 screws. That gives lots of access to rear of headunit.
    Cheers for the quick reply... may have a go at that then, is it easy to remove the tray in the bottom slot? Haven't had time to have a look yet and it's dark now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the tray is just held in by a coule of tabs in the top and bottom, just lever them up and pull it out (youll see what i mean when you look at it)

the black thing in the top slot needs to come out, its just a couple of screws iirc (throw it away once its out you dont need it anymore), that is if your wanting to put the cubby hole in the top slot

i've got loads of wires coming out of my head unit and theres loads of space in the bottom slot

you got an original or aftermarket headunit? there was loads of space for my kenwood which uses a half depth cage but ive heard of people having problems with space in the bottom slot - this might be down to the full size cage on the vauxhall headunit

i've probalby explained most of this badly so if you need anything else just ask and i'll try to help further
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v