Thread: Smokey diesels and the MOT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smokey diesels and the MOT

This isn't so much of a problem yet, well not until it comes to MOT time. I have a Mk3 Astra with the Turbo Isuzu engine. If i where to rev it beyond 3k rpm there is a fair amount of black smoke that comes from the exhaust, but in normal driving the smoke is none pretty much existent, except if i where to put my foot down, and boot it. However I have never owned a diesel before, this being my first, and it worries me a little that it might fail the MOT on this, when the time comes, however I am told that they can rev a diesel hard to get the reading that is needed, but they also ask if the cam belt has been changed lately, of course i will say no, even though it has, as I dont fancy the idea of someone giving my engine a load of beans, and also since it has rather noisy cams since it had the timing belt changed, anything that I should know about when it comes to MOT time?
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you had a service lately, you definately need to check your air filter. They only blip the throttle for a short time, the new testers they are getting now capture the smoke test very quickly. keep it warm while you are waiting for the MOT, you could also use some stop smoke additive in the fuel first.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    Have you had a service lately, you definately need to check your air filter.
    Yes, it has not long had an air filter, It had a service about 5.5k miles ago and is probably due another one soon. Though I might add alot of my journeys are shorter ones, and a few slightly longer journeys, though I did read that soot does often coat the inside of the exhaust, and sometimes this smoke is just that clearing, however i might consider getting some friends at Kwikfit to put it on the smoke tester, to see if it would fail, though I have seen cars smoking worse than mine, on the roads

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes that would be a good idea.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    i might consider getting some friends at Kwikfit to put it on the smoke tester, to see if it would fail
    Probably not a very constructive answer but if you have friends that can MOT it for you, why are you worrying

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_van View Post
    Probably not a very constructive answer but if you have friends that can MOT it for you, why are you worrying
    Thats not what i meant, and I'm not 100% they would take *ahem, cough cough* to pass a car for me anyway, I had previously been going there to get tyres changed in exchange for beer money, though I do have a Free MOT voucher from my local Vauxhall Dealer, after a local Peugeot dealership closed ( I had a pug previously and had been there), Its I'm a little concerned of the smoking, thats all, As alot of the diesels I have come into contact with, have never smoked like this, and many of them not road vehicles anyway

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get the engine warm. Plant the throtle to the floor untill the engine reaches the governor. (watch the amount of smoke coming from the exhaust) once it hits the governor release the throtle again. once it has returned to idle speed. allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds and repeat this for up 10 times. you should notice that the smoke emmited is less and less with each time you do it. It should some down to almost nothing. If you get to 10 and the smoke emmitted isn't reducing at all then you have a problem that'll need looking at.
    Now Running Boost, AWD and a Flat 4.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When my mk4 Y20DTH went for MoT the guy didnt even rev it, I was waiting for the noise of beasty engine to rattle the tin shed we were in to pieces, but he got it up to about 2.5k (dont even think the turbo kicked in) and it had already got a reading.

First car ive ever had that passed first time too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymccann View Post
    When my mk4 Y20DTH went for MoT the guy didnt even rev it, I was waiting for the noise of beasty engine to rattle the tin shed we were in to pieces, but he got it up to about 2.5k (dont even think the turbo kicked in) and it had already got a reading.

First car ive ever had that passed first time too
    Thats good at least, if they reved it only to 2.5k at any rate, during normal driving the car's fine, its usually smokey once the turbo kicks in, but i rarily use any more than 2.5k revs anyway

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it bad I use up to 4k in any journey? :|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast