Thread: Astra 05 plate help!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 05 plate help!!!

Hello! I'm new to forums so please excuse if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am in need of urgent help guys and gals, i brought an 05 plate astra estate club 1.8 auto about 6 months ago and it seems like i got a little bit of a problem.

It first started to loose water, I thought a good service will do the trick. So i took it to my mechanic and he told me the parts to get. He also asked me to get gearbox oil, because apparently it had gone all white(ish) and thats really bad. So he chaned that also. My mechanic couldn't determine where the water was going as there were no leaks under the car.

Then after a few weeks, it now goes up to 4th gear and doesnt go back down, it stays in 4th, so moving off at the traffic lights is a bit of an issue.
    There is also a light of a spanner and car in the dash board, in manual it says that there may be something wrong with the engine or transmission electrical system.

My mechanic then told me that i may need a new gearbox, and also a new radiator as the radiator was leaking water into the engine or transmission??

So he changed the radiotor and said that may fix the issue. but it hasnt.

Someone help! Has anyone had a similar issue?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi buddy not sure about your gear problem but I have water problem like yours where the water level was dropping and I was topping up about a glass a week. Took it to VX and they said that the fan was not kicking in to control the temp.
    Almost Always Eventually Right

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got an answer from Vauxhall today, apparently it has happened with other customers vehicles where the radiator leaks water into the gearbox. And the only way to fix this is to get a new gearbox. Also got a quote from vauxhall for a refurb gearbox = £2800!!!!

Im gutted.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im no expert but im pretty sure you could pick one up for a lot cheaper than that, VX always charge over the top anyways.
    Hey Dick,whats in for the Big Brain Quiz tonight? Certainly Gents, thats 200 quid. WHAT! each! DOUBLE WHAT! Thats abit steep isnt it...? steep...its f-ing verticle!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know this an old posting but the same thing has just happen'd to me.
    Got Astra club on a 55, 1.8 auto.Only done 29000 miles. Been losing coolant for a while so took it into the garage for a check over, and they have told me about the same story as yours. They told me to give Vauxhall customer service a call and see what they say about it bearing in mind the low mileage.
    Gave them a call and spoke to a very nice lady who was very helpfull, the car will now be taken to a vauxhall garage for a check over and then they will get back to me. I dont think I stand any chance of help from Vauxhall but its worth a try.
    Think I'm looking at a new gearbox, and a very large bill, shame because it was a great car before this.