Thread: Astra Coupe, gearbox knackered

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Coupe, gearbox knackered

Pleeease anyone mechanically minded seeing as im a white elephant when it comes to these things...

I've got a 1.8 16v Astra Coupe and last night when accelerating away rather hard i put it in to 2nd gear and crunched it badly (how great does this make me sound..) anyway, i tried putting it in again and it just made noise, no gear, just revs, i put it in to 3rd and all my other gears work 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse, it is noisey though, sounds like how a mud flap dragging off your car on the road would.

I've been told i may have just knocked the aligning out, or the arm might have broken? This is where i'm confused, is there just the one selection arm? in which case surely i would have no gears?? Or is there one on each gear?

More importantly is it time to get looking for another gear box?

Thanks in advance,

James

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this happened exactly the same me mate pulled out of a junction in 1st gave it some beens changed into 2nd and a horrid noise same as u described turns out its a common fault on 1.8 coupe gearboxes so vauxhall told me something todo with the 2nd gear so i got my mechanic to have a look and he confirmed it was a gearbox so had a recon one and clutch and fitted all for just over 900 pounds which is alot but ii needed it doing