Thread: Sony MEX BT-5100

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Sony MEX BT-5100

Sure i've asked this somewhere before. Must've been a bit ago wherever it was.

Anyway, decided on this. I think someone told me that you can't use the MFD display with it though, but you can use the steering wheel controls.

Looking at the sticky:

Astra MK4/G (part 3)

Sony

Sony officially uses Autoleads as there supplier, but other manufacturers provide similar parts. These adapter can be broken down into 2 groups, namely: one with Display and steering wheel controls and one for just the Steering wheel controls.

Steering wheel controls only

Autoleads

Part No: Interface PC99-X06
    Harness PC99-SON
    Price: Interface - £32.99 Harness- £6.99
    Compatibility: All models that support Remote out

Connects2

Part No: CTSVXS001
    Price: £39.99
    Compatibility: Any Sony headunit with OEM Control out

Soundlinx

Part No: SON01VAU
    Price: £49.99
    Compatibility: All models to Sony RMX-2S/RMX-4S compatible units

Incartec

Part No: Interface 29-609 (up to 06/2000) 29-637 (from 07/2000)
    Harness 28-SON04* (compatible with 2004 range and upwards)
    Price: Interface - £31.99 Harness- £4.99

Steering Wheel Controls and Display Adapter

Connects2

Part No: CTDOPS004
    Price: £75.99
    Compatibility: Any Kenwood headunit with OEM display out

Soundlinx

Part No: VAU01DIS
    Price: £79.99
    Compatibility: All models that support Remote out (CD changer and joystick remote)
    Going off that, you CAN use both MFD display & steering wheel controls with this unit.
    Anyo9ne on here actually got one of these & can confirm either yay or nay?

Haven't heard of "Soundlinx" on the board before, but have heard of "Connects 2" so i assume i should be going for that?

Unless someone can tell me the MFD most deffinately doesn't show anything with this unit & i'd be better off going for one of the first 4 listed (dunno which though)?

Anyone able to help so i can buy in the right equipment without having to face the hassle of returning wrong items?

Thanks

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Looking at the connects2 part and the wiring diagrams for that headunit it is possible to do MFD and steering wheel controls

Either adaptor will work, go with what your happy with
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I hate when one person tells you one thing & another tells you the opposite. It makes you wonder who's right & who's wrong & at £70+ it's not a cheap punt either LoL.

Thanks for the reply.

As i don't know what the difference is between the two, i'll be happy with the cheaper one for the moment Dunno if the dearer one is better for whatever reason.

EDIT: While waiting on a response for the above, i may as well get in the following...

bit of a dummy question, but how do you get the Vaux stereo out? Mine is the CD 500 or whatever model number it is.

I don't have any tools for the job & i begrudge buying any tools when i'm only going to use them once.

I heard you can use cotton wool bud sticks for it? The holes look to small for that to me...?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I can only say how to take the radio out with the correct tools being a small allen key for the grub screws that go into the holes and then standard V shaped radio keys into the holes exposed

Yes you can put other things in the holes like a wire coat hanger but you have to be carefull they go the right side of the release clips
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    ahhh, bit cheaper than the price quoted there http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...rtno=CTDOPS004

i only expected a little fitment thing.

Dummy question again: is there plenty of room for that box thing behind the head unit? I'm not going to be scrambling for space am i?

Likely to get instructions on how to fit these? I generally get others to do it, although after having sat in on them being fitted before, i had a crack at fitting the g/f's HU which wasn't so bad. Nothing fiddly that time though like fitting one of these gizmos

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    REmove the glovebox, it will make it easy to feed all the wires though and instructions should come with it all. Simple to fit really