Thread: Hids

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hids

Just wanted to no is it quite easy to do the hid convertion and how much would it cost to do this give or take a few pounds.

i see there is a tech guide for it but that just tells you how to do it.
    i followed the de restricted air box guide it made it seem quite easy to do but what a pain in the arse it was i took me about an hour just to get 1 of the pipes out.

there is a guy on here scott sxi who is making me some headlights so i want to put the hids in to them
    Sri 1.8 59k miles dvd/cd player touch screen. Jbl 6x9s and 12" fusion sub in boot.r8 style headlights
    my astra sri

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To do the "Conversion" its a case of remove the old bulb's, place in the new ones, and wire in the loom ( which is plug and play, fit's straight in, and they all come with instructions)

Altho, the lights that Scott Sxi is making is the standard head lights with the strip in, me personally wouldnt put HID's in, becuase the scatter of the light beam IMO would be to much, and you will get people flashing at you etc... for blinding them, and maybe poilce.

Ideally you want a headlight thats got a projector len's in, like sharkeye, angel eyes, morrettes, hella and i think the new style Audi lights have them.

Thats what i think, someone may come back with standard lights and say there no problem, im only speculating.

Hope that helps.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mint

I installed mine last night that i got from ebay takes a little bit of modification to you original bulb holder but quite simple pmme if you need help. but they look AMAZING
    Mond

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the bulbe holder will need to be cut i followed the guide first time doing HID'd 10 mins at most! i had mine aligned by an MOT station they said the light patten was acceptable. i have been stopped for nemurous checks in veichle check points and none have said nothing about the HId's when they have been on.

EDIT: mine are in standard headlight cluster
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Guess it depends on your knowledge, confidence etc etc on whether you'll get by ok with the job.

It's something i'm considering, but no matter how many people tell me "it's a piece of p!ss", i'm thinking there's a good chance i'll butcher it. These same people probably know exactly what they're doing, so of course it'll be easy & i've been told "its a piece of p!ss" on jobs before. Some turn out to be easy, others are bloody difficult.

So i'd likely get someone else to do it but that's just me.

I read on another board about headlight washers (referred to as being necessary) with HID's & have seen some people on here with them.

Q: Anyone able to comment on that bit?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I do know you cant just place in the bulbs you need to make them legal by way of your headlamps also
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
    click the link it should give you some information about them being legal also, click this link http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=268050 it should give you some good information about them

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When i had sharkeyes, nothing had to be changed/ modified for the HID's, they fitted straight in, they got the same fitment and the H7 bulbs i took out.

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.
    Taken from the site posted above.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    what a bugger, it basically says that you must have headlight washers installed for HIDs

That's pretty bloody stupid imo. Not least because i think they look quite sh!t (no offence to anyone who thinks they look good).

Hmm, i dunno if i can be bothere with the hassle really.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    After reading that thread on Talkaudio ( Really interesting )

From what I was reading, It's illegal to retro fit them on new cars? but from what year?

From what I was getting, is that it's legal if your clusters are E marked and your lights are E marked

Such a confusing area
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms1989 View Post
    After reading that thread on Talkaudio ( Really interesting )

From what I was reading, It's illegal to retro fit them on new cars? but from what year?

From what I was getting, is that it's legal if your clusters are E marked and your lights are E marked

Such a confusing area
    Haven't opened that link, but from reading on here & other forums, it's illegal full stop, but not in the way that murdering someone is illegal. More like, doing 71mph on the motorway Basically that you'll get away with it 99% of the time i guess. A lot of people say they don't get pulled but that, and i quote, "it's not technically legal", well, that makes it illegal then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast