Thread: Ecotec?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ecotec?

Hello all. My name is Aaron. I'm checking in all the way across the world from Houston, Texas USA. My ride is a 2008 HHR SS Turbo. It's another 2.0L GM engine (Designation LNF), except it's equipped with direct injection. Stock ratings are 260bhp, 260tq, but I'm putting out over 300bhp and 330tq on more boost and tuning. Enough about my ride though.

The question is this. Is the 2.0L engine in the Astra SRi and VXR an Ecotec? I know the LNF is in the Opel GT sold in Europe, so I thought the Astra engine might be closely related. I ask because I thought some of the fueling and ECU parts might be compatible.

Direct injection is amazing to a point, but the aftermarket support just isn't there for it yet. Our stock fuel system can support upwards of 400whp, but beyond that there is utterly no solution besides adding additional injectors in a standard PFI setup. Also, all of the tables for the very strange Bosch ecu that manages the DI system have yet to be cracked, which presents its own set of problems.

Anyway, is it an Ecotec?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep. Sorry I can't offer any more help regarding the compatibility of parts though...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said, the VXR Z20LEH engine is an ecotec, but the LNF series from what I have read has more in common with the US ecotec than the euro spec engines.

That being said, I believe tht the DI is only currently on the LNF series engine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone have pictures of a VXR motor with all of the accessories and manifolds and such attached? I'm curious what it looks like, specifically where the throttle body is located. Maybe even a scan of an intake manifold gasket?

Our intake manifold is in the front, and it points down toward the intercooler. Thanks for the help you've given already. On a side note, I may be moving to Sydney in a year or so for school, so an Astra may be in my future. They brought it over to the US as a Saturn, but sadly the turbo models aren't available here.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Aaron

Apart from the 2.2 (L61 to you), the LNF isn't in the slightest bit related to any engine used in a UK/European/Australian Astra. Which is a bloody shame as it's the best 4 cyl engine GM have done in a long long while.

The whole Ecotec thing tends to cause confusion as in Euro the name has been has been stuck on every engine made in the last 15years or so, whereas in the states it denotes a small series of related engines (the L850 series)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks man. That was the definite answer I needed.

If I move to Sydney, I'm going to have to bring one with me so I can do a swap.

If anyone would like to stop by my forum and say hello sometime, it's LNFPerformance.com. I appreciate the help!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the DI 260bhp motor is sure to be the next gen VXR in Europe for sure. Isn't your engine an all aluminium one as well? Ours is cast up to the head gasket. I have a great article here somewhere on both engines will try to dig it out tomorrow
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As you said its used in europe in the opel speedster but none of the other cars. EDS do upgrades for that motoe tho so check their web site http://www.eds-motorsport.de/_eds_/index.htm

Your engine is the ecotec gen 2, we still have the crappy old euro spec design gen 1 but ours is an iron block and is closed deck which is good for high boost without sleeving, the pistons and rods are still interchangeable tho as i have the pistons from your gen 2 in my engine our engines also have a belt rather than a cam chain. Im sure we use the same box as you in the vxr`s tho, we also dont have vvt in our heads and the valves and ports are very different.
    Whats your engine in ??? a cobalt

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is a Chevrolet HHR SS, but yes, it's the same engine as the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, and the Saturn Sky Redline and the Pontiac Solstice as well.

So far there have been no stress-related internal failures, and there are cars pushing over 400whp. I only know of two failures. One person decided to try a 300shot of nitrous, and the other was a result of improper tuning.

Our pistons are considered to be the weak point of our internals, as they're cast. They're supposed to need replacement around 500whp or so. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems it has a Euro engine code of Z20NHH...If this is the case, most of the bottom end/block parts might fit (as said above) like rods, pistons etc. Cams and head gear might be a different story as they have chain driven pumps and cams..

They are meant to be a VERY good thing though. Here in Oz we currently only get the Iron Block Euro spec ECOTEC engine so far too...