Thread: civic type r vs mk4 sri-t?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

civic type r vs mk4 sri-t?

has anyone owned an astra gsi/sri-t and a civic type r and what are they really like to own and drive are they reliable easy to mod and up bhp my insurance is up soon and i dont know if i fancy a change but i always regret it afterwards, i need some good advice cos when i get summit inn my head i make bad decisions

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    both Al and Legoman on here are the two to ask

they have owned both
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    type r is better handling i think? Turbo is faster im led to believe...

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andys sri-t View Post
    has anyone owned an astra gsi/sri-t and a civic type r and what are they really like to own and drive are they reliable easy to mod and up bhp my insurance is up soon and i dont know if i fancy a change but i always regret it afterwards, i need some good advice cos when i get summit inn my head i make bad decisions
    Although this thread is a discussion about a MK4 GSi and CTR, it covers most of the information you will need.

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...ght=civic+type

Insurance group on the CTR is 17. Tuning wise, to really up the power, then big money will need to be spent. Supercharging a CTR would be my ideal choice, but iirc, this would go into thousands of £

Couple of q's

Will this be your main car?
    Do you do a lot of miles?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes 2 both your qeustions

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes 2 both your qeustions
    The CTR IMO, unless you can put up with the cabin noise (especially on the motorway) and dont mind feeling every bump in the road then go for the CTR. Going over speedhumps can be a nightmare too due to the hard suspension and the low profile tyres.

However, the CTR is also an experience everyone has to try. The close ratio gearbox is so damn good. The gears just clicks into place and it feels so solid, none of this springy rubbish you find in some cars.

One thing I have to mention is that if you have a blowout at the front, you will need to move a rear wheel to the front. The spare wheel dont fit over the front calipers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like ill be better off keeping the sri-t then oh well it was worth a thought

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like ill be better off keeping the sri-t then oh well it was worth a thought
    I would stick with the SRi T. However, by all means, take a CTR for a test drive as you may like it. Just make sure you try all types of roads before making a decision. When I took a test drive in a CTR, the salesman only took me on dual carriageways. I had no idea the suspension was so damn hard til I drove the car home

I had a MK4 GSi then I swapped it for a CTR. Seven months later, I was back in a GSi.

Have you considered a LCR?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id stick with the Sri-T just because they are rarer than the CTR, they are sooo common now!
    Hey Dick,whats in for the Big Brain Quiz tonight? Certainly Gents, thats 200 quid. WHAT! each! DOUBLE WHAT! Thats abit steep isnt it...? steep...its f-ing verticle!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think a lot of it comes down to your driving style with these cars. Spirited driving point to point, takes a lot to beat an EP3 CTR. I've had 3 Astra turbos and a LCR and none of them would hussle along like the CTR. VTEC is very addictive to some, me included and gives the engine some character unlike a lot of turbo'd hot hatches

But, the higher torque, softer suspension, quieter cabin etc will make the Astra easier to live with every day, especially for the work commute. I found my CTR a bit hard work after a year and sold up. AS Al said they are noisy, hard riding etc.

Looking back now wish I'd kept it, so I recently bought a FN2 CTR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast