Thread: strange sound very annoying

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

strange sound very annoying

hi guys, everyday iv been on this week posting problems! well the problem i have here has been on going for ages and ages but it only used to do it when the engine revs dipped like when you stalled etc its more noticable under the drivers seat, could possibly be something (exhaust?) rattling underneath the car?

its doing it more noticably from cold now and the noise disappears about 2.5k rpm, first i rev the engine in the video then put it in reverse and try to reverse with the handbrake on, you can hear the noise more noticably then

i usually hear it going up steep hills etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ybuZrIW5A

anyone got an idea what it is?

also ive noticed recently the the clutch judders eg if setting off on a steep hill if i bring the clutch up slowly with not many revs the whole car vibrates, this only happens 1 time out of 10 and with the car done 88,000 i think its still on the original clutch so its possibly that

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't recognise the noise but judder could be oil on the clutch or a dead one, have you got any lack of power at all? Not much but a little at low revs? I had exhaust noise around 2k revs, a slight lack of power and the juddering thing when pulling off, turned out to be rooted in the timing strangely, my sprocket key had sheared, kept running for ages with the symptoms but then died at a junction and wouldn't re start after that...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nah theres no loss of power, infact i keep finding it hard to believe its only a 1.4 lol its not too bad at all, the clutch thing doesnt really bother me, im expecting to have to pay for a new one soon anyway after the miles its done so im not too concerned about that,il jack the car up 2moz and see if i can see where the rattling is going on

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    135,000 on my clutch and it's fine...but I'm nice to it mostly...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the only time i'll replace the clutch is when it starts slipping, the odd vibration isnt too much of a problem, would be nice to cure that f**king noise though!!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Noise...something like a heat shield rattling on the exhaust or under the bonnet maybe? It's quite a high pitched rattle and very metallic...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv had the bonnet open and had someone rev the car while iv been under the bonnet and to be honest it doesnt seem to be coming from there, it sounds more under the drivers seat, its defo louder under the car than under the bonnet, its a horrid noise first thing on a morning lol strange how it seems to get a bit better once the engine warms up though

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Heat shield on the exhaust then? There's one at the rear for the backbox and one sitting over the centre silencer too...they do have a habit of corroding around the mounting bolts and rattling...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys, turned out to be the aux belt and tensioner, all is good now