AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 16V issue around 3.5-4000rpm

Hi

First post and its a question!

I have just bought a 1.8 SRI (2000) and today I noticed an issue that seemed similar to a problem with another 1.8 (Comfort) I test drove. At around 3.5-4000rpm that engine seems to restrict and not want to rev harder (in the car i test drove it actually caused the car to lurch slightly at similar revs). This means in 5th gear at 80 i have nowhere to go, and acceleration is not as good i would expect given the paper figure of 8.5 0-60 (it actually doesn't feel a whole lot faster than my 1.6 16V CD).

I also noticed this week that the temp gauge seems rarely to lift off zero, although when I deliberately tried to rev harder today it rose to about 20% and quickly dropped after I dropped the revs. I have not really worked the engine much since I bought it a week ago.

I mentioned the issue I had in the test drive car to the seller and they said it was because it hadn't been driven for a while and the valves were probably slightly gunged up - in conjunction with patchy SH and a seller who had quickly gotten rid of it i decided to walk away from that one. This one seemed fine but now I am not so sure - any suggestions?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does the engine miss at all? I had a similar issue with my car recently and it had no guts at all, it turned out to be the Air flow meter which I changed with an ebay special for £28 and fixed the issue. See if there is a member in your region that can let you test with theirs on, it takes 2 mins to change. Where are you in the country?

Astra's also suffer from dirty throttle body's but this usually manafests itself as poor idle with the engine nearly stalling.

Throttle body cleaning how to here http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...chnical/TB.pdf

Also could be the egr valve

http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...hnical/EGR.pdf

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    If your running cold all of the time you most likley have a broken thermostat. They tend to get stuck open when they fail.
    Astra H SRi 1.9 CDTI
    WG Motorworks stage 1.5 Remap, VXR suspension, Whiteline RARB, Courtenay brake hoses, VXR brakes,
    OP COM East Anglia Region

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys

Have been meaning to check back but you know how it is! New parent....say no more!

How easy is it to DIY fix the thermostat? My local garage want £99 to fix. Also does anyone know what effect the dodgy thermo is having on my car?

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    £99?!?!?

That's a RIP OFF

Get a thermostat from a local motor factors, remove the hose connecting to it, and 3 E torx screws and its off

It's that simple
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK - that doesn't sound too bad if I can identify it... (and find my torx drivers!)

Does anyone know what effect the open thermostat will be having on my car? I know if the car runs hot what it does to the engine (had a sticky thermo on my old Corolla) but what is the effect on the car if it is running cold? The actual engine itself does seems to be warm - at least I am getting warm air through my blowers.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Open thermostat will use more fuel than normal but it is unlikely to cause any other problems when driving - at least it didn't for me running 2 weeks with one stuck open. It is an easy change on the 16v engines, worth getting a Haynes Manual to be honest though, it will help for this and anything else in the future. You'll still get warm air through the heaters as the engine will warm up, but it will never reach optimal running temps.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello

Can anyone confirm if this is the part i need for a new thermostat for an X Reg 1.8 SRi (and do i need the housing etc or can just get the thermostat cheaper?)? And does anyone know the best cheapest place to get one? Is it worth going to local supplier to save the delivery cost or is online (total cost c.£36) as cheap as I'm going to get?

Gm Part No. 24456401