Thread: Mk5 - My Feelings

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk5 - My Feelings

After a few weeks of having a Mk5 in the household I thought I'd share my thoughts. When my better half recently got a new company car and was given a Mk5 1.6 'Breeze' I was pretty excited at the prospect as I hadn't actually driven a mk5 before and have always fancied getting one as my next car.

It's also a good comparison to my own car, both 1.6 16v 5 doors in silver and both pretty similar trim levels.

The mk5 drives nicely enough, pretty smooth, decent level of kit.. but I genuinely prefer my own car which I'm quite gutted about. I don't like the indicator/wiper stalks on the mk5, I find the dash a bit cheap, I don't like the gearstick, my own car seems quicker and more responsive (although the mk5 probably needs more miles on it). Perhaps my car is just like a comfy old pair of shoes to me and that's why it feels better but that's why I've waited until I've driven the Mk5 for a few weeks to have a more fair comparison. The mk4 just 'feels' better.

My girlfriend is away on the train today so I had the choice of both cars - the Mk5 is still at home. My brother on the other hand got a new focus recently and while I prefer the Astra to look at, it seems the better car in every other way. I think I'll be looking elsewhere for my next car.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I like the MK5 betta than the MK4.... think its easier to drive, more cumfy, and you just get use to the indicators lol

I thought the 1.6 in the mk5 was 10bhp more than the mk4?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a MK5 after having a MK4 and I must admit I miss my MK4 but the MK5 is a much better car, handles better, is smoother, better to drive etc and more comfy.

The stalks do take some getting used to, but IMO it is a better car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dp88 View Post
    I like the MK5 betta than the MK4.... think its easier to drive, more cumfy, and you just get use to the indicators lol

I thought the 1.6 in the mk5 was 10bhp more than the mk4?
    I'm used to the stalks now - I no longer randomly indicate or forget to cancel, I just don't like them. The mk5 apparently has 115bhp but it doesn't really feel like it, and I find it a little jerky/clunky to drive. It only has 2k on the clock though so it maybe needs to loosen up a bit.

...or perhaps my expectations were just set a little high. I'm not saying it's a bad car by any means, I just expected to like it a lot more than my current Astra.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    just it have the indicators that don't stay in the up or down position. Just return to the centre each time?

Had a Corsa D as a rental car for a week, and loved them after I had got used to it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    just it have the indicators that don't stay in the up or down position. Just return to the centre each time?

Had a Corsa D as a rental car for a week, and loved them after I had got used to it.
    Aye. I tend to think 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' - probably just getting old!