Thread: Anybody know much about audio?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anybody know much about audio?

I have ordered a 12" pioneer sub and was wondering what kind of amp and how big the sealed box should be, for the sub to be at its optimum performance.

I currently have all the standard fittings in the car and will be replacing the tape player with a head unit that hopefully has a AUX port on the back.

I also wonder which speaker set up would be better. Either a pair of 6x9's and cutting the wires to the standard speakers, or replacing my standard speakers with new components and tweeters.

Can anyone help ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best off putting this into the ICE section mate, you'll get more response there.

If you've got a sub, to me there's no point getting 6x9s. Get yourself a 4ch amp that can be bridged to 3 ch (you use 2 chs for the front components, and the third bridged (double power) ch for the sub) and get some new aftermarket components for the front. IMO, a sub would likely drown out OEM speakers, and wouldn't sound all that great.
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Moved to the ICE forum for you.

if you post the spec of the sub or at least the model number for it, it will help people recommend you an amp.
    6x9's are pointless if you are fitting a sub, so a set of comps with an amp powering then would be a good upgrade

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Don't fit 6x9's, get some decent components in the front instead, run off an amp for best sound quality. You can fit a set of co-ax's in the rear & run them off the head unit.
    Give us more details on the sub model number & you'll get more help on that part.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.pioneer.nl/uk/products/ar...SPL/index.html

This is the sub thats comming to my house soon.

Frequency response 18 - 2.000 Hz Sensitivity (1W/1m) 89 dB Recommended sealed enclosure (Litres) 42.5 Lowest resonance frequency (FS) 32 Hz Maximum Power 2.000 W Nominal input power 750 W Woofer size (cm) 30 cm Dual 4-ohm voice coils: 2 or 8 ohm yes

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    To get the most from your sub I'd suggest running it with the voice coils paralleled (i.e. connect the two positive terminals together & wire to the positive output of your amp and the same with the negative terminals to the amp negative).
    You will need an amp rated around 3-400 Wrms (The 2000w figures quoted in the specs are peak momentary power). Choice of brand will be a personal thing.
    You will need a sealed box of 42 litres or 1.5 cubic feet capacity.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey about the amp, what kind should i get? This mono and 4 channel amps aren't really making much sence to me. I plan on that 12 inch sub, maybe add another if there's not enough bass. Im thinking of putting 4 comps and 2 tweeters in. Is there anything else i should need for the comps and tweeters to work properly?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If you buy a set of components they will come with crossovers & tweeters, you shouldn't need extra tweeters.
    I'd advise spending a bit more on decent components for the front, powering them from an amp and fiiting co-ax speakers in the rear running off your head unit. This along with a sub will give a better, more balanced sound.
    To start with, you could either run a 4 channel amp, using 2 of the channels bridged for the sub and 2 channels for the front speakers. Or you could run a 2 channel amp for the fronts & a monoblock amp for the sub.
    What sort of budget do you have in mind for the system?
    Do you have any preference, brandwise, for amps/speakers/head units?
    I would definitely advise you to try to listen to a selection of products before you buy, if you can.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much would you say i need in total for a decent sound system including the amp and speakers?
    In terms in brand, im not too fussed. As long as there good it doesn't particualary matter to me.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Actually i think i like pioneer lol. And how does wiring co-axls at the back running of the HU sound better?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast