Thread: Stupid bolts!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stupid bolts!

I've just got myself a nice new leather interior for my astra. However, when I went to remove the bolts, the star shaped heads on them just warped the moment I put the slightest bit of pressure on them. Now I can't remove the bolts to change the seats. Any advice on how to remove the bolts when they are like this? And has anyone else had this problem?

Calum

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/stud-extractor-easy-out-bolt-screw-remover-5pc-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ290268731551QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_3?hash=item290268731551&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|24 0%3A1318
    something like that,
    or you could get a big hammer a t45 bit and smack it till its stuck and remove it that way

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add 888dan on Facebook
    i think i know exactly which bolts ur on about here . firstly go under the car and see if you can locate the other end of the bold. give this a good dose if wire brush action and loads of wd40 or plusgas . then id prob try an impact driver or wrench on it . think the bolts are high tensile so there a pain to drill to use easy outs . if you can avoide using the easy out route cos there really not that good . can you chisel any grooves in the head and knock it round to get started ? all else fails then ur guna have to grind the head off . remove seats . drill holes in the middle of the bolt increasing in size to tapping size then chase the thread out with the CORRECT tap

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they are only torqued up to 22nm so maybe get a flat blade screw driver and a big hammer lol
    if i get chance today i'll take a walk and find out what they do in work,

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add 888dan on Facebook
    if he means the ones for the rear seats they can be an arse . some of the bolts also hold the seat belt n they are tough . think there 12.9 s like decent cap heads

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they are all cheap made crap you should see the amount we have crossed after one shift lol the back ones dont tend to be that bad, the front ones are mainly the ones that get crossed, the seat belt bolt for the is a t40 the ones for the rears i are t50