Thread: Keep Date Showing On MFD?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Keep Date Showing On MFD?

I've read a few posts on here about cutting a wire in the ISO loom (stereo side) to fool the MFD into keeping the date on all the time when an aftermarket head unit is fitted. I am planning on fitting a Clarion unit soon. Standard ISO connectors etc... No steering wheel controls so not worried about that end. Have heard though that cutting this wire can effect radio reception as it also powers the amplified ariel on the car.

So to confirm:

1) Is it the blue/white wire that needs to be cut in the ISO connector? If not which one is it as have seen some conflicting advise on this. The Clarion loom has a V with two blue/white wires - one going to the connector and a shorter one ending in a spade and not connected to anything at all.

2) Is cutting this wire likely to effect FM reception much or at all?

3) Am I better off leaving well enough alone and just putting up with no date on the MFD?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    i just thought that in the back of the standard radio theres an extra connector block which does all the mfd and steering wheel displays... which majorty of aftermarket stereo's dont have, keeping this connector block out means that the mfd thinks the radio is permintally off... keeping the date on...
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (135K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think so mate at least according to some of the posts on here there is a wire in the second power block that causes the date to go off when the aftermarket unit is switched on. Temp and time etc not effected. I know what you mean though 3 blocks in the car - only 2 on the aftermarket connector.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    ah right... i dunno then, i do know that 1 of my gaffers as an 53 plate Club and he put an aftermarket in his.. me and a collegue did it and we didnt cut any cables and now when i take his out if he has shit music on i just turn the radio off and the date stops on in it ... :S
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (135K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is mentioned if you search - it's a wire in the OEM loom that needs cut, nor does it affect the aerial r.e. FM reception. I 'think' from memory it's a red/white striped wire but PLEASE check that first!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperm View Post
    ah right... i dunno then, i do know that 1 of my gaffers as an 53 plate Club and he put an aftermarket in his.. me and a collegue did it and we didnt cut any cables and now when i take his out if he has shit music on i just turn the radio off and the date stops on in it ... :S
    Yeah but does the date stay on when the radios still on cos thats what I'm after or does it only come on when the radio is turned off?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    This is mentioned if you search - it's a wire in the OEM loom that needs cut, nor does it affect the aerial r.e. FM reception. I 'think' from memory it's a red/white striped wire but PLEASE check that first!
    Correct

Cutting it there will stop the steering wheel contol lights from coming on but you say your not going to use them anyway
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Autosparks. Spot on. So am I better to cut the one in the cars loom rather than in the ISO and will this effect the amp for the ariel or not? Also the reason I am not worried about steering controls is I dont have them on this car anyway.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mine still keeps the date and I never cut any wires.
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riskoe View Post

Mine still keeps the date and I never cut any wires.
    Thanks Riskoe. With a bit of luck maybe mine will do the same!! Just want to be clear though if it doesn't which wire I need to cut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast