Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Shake Problem at 70mph.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steering Shake Problem at 70mph.

Posted this in the astra H section of another astra network but thought I'd maximise my chances and also take part in discussions here as I officialy own an Astra H so here goes.

I've got a huge steering shake problem, around 70 MPH the car likes to rotate the steering wheel left/right almost as if the road surface has an effect on the steering wheel causing it to go left/right violently and intensively.

Car : astra cdti 1.7 55 reg
    Wheels: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 with Accelera High Performance 40 profile tyres.

The wheels are 5 nut and have Spigot rings, known to be the right size for Astra 04+ which includes my astra 05.

Had my Balancing 3 times! each balance made a slightly better difference but each time they went for a re-balance they were out by 5-30 grams each time ( machines at different sensetivities? maybe I should ask them to go 'finest' ?)

Increasing speed does not make the problem go away and cannot drive through it!

No bad effect or vibration from 1-69mph... happens at 70+.

I've looked into the possibile dangers of this and the consiquences can be fatal and life threatening to me and everyone else if I was to ignore this.

I'm only left with the following options:
    a. Lug based balancing? mount a plate 5 lugs and balance the wheel like that?

b. On car balancing (is that still around)?

c. Have the spigot rings firmly put on the wheel before mountaing to hub? Spigot rings were left on the hub when the wheels got balanced and then they put them back on the hub with the spigot rings not taken off and put firmly on the wheel? I heard that they need clipping firmly into the wheel before trying to marry the wheel to the hub as the ring is so important it can cause an out of balance and throw steering all over the place!

d. check tyres but i dont see how they'd cause vibration at 70mph+ and not anything lower?

e. balance again , but this has been done so many times that i think the wheel wants to puke weights.

Any ideas? Appreciated.

Note: tyres and alloys are brand new and problem occurred as soon as they were put on ,never had a smooth drive on any surface always get wobbles, nearly died on the m54 each part of that road nearly throws my car into the barriers so have to grip the wheel with dear life and if i persistantly kept driving that road and took a second to look at my mirrors id probably be into a barrier... bad bad bad bad!!!!! Do not want to drive on the m54 until this is fixed, had to delay my plans this weekend for my own safety and my friends.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the tyres m8 happend on my dads vectra went back over 10 times to be be ballenced in thew end they just replaced them as the tyres had twisted when they where making them some how :S mike!
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5853moore View Post
    its the tyres m8 happend on my dads vectra went back over 10 times to be be ballenced in thew end they just replaced them as the tyres had twisted when they where making them some how :S mike!
    Thanks mate appreciate your experience on your dads vectra but why only happen after 69mph? I've even swapped front to back so is this consequently all for 4 tyres are twisted?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,
    have you tried jacking the car up and doing side to side 9 clock and 3 clock on the wheel to see if you have play in the rack or track rod ends?

Just a suggestion, are you able to try putting some different wheels on you car and drive it at 70mph and see if the fault is there?

We do this on customers cars and use sales cars for the wheels
    Then you can eliminate you alloys from causing the shaking.

It could be a possible bulge in the tyre that could be distorted as ive had this happen from previous experience with my gf's pug 106. spin the wheels round and ull notice it.

If the above is the same then its time to start looking at drivetrain parts like drive shafts.

hope this helps

michael

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_sxi View Post
    Hello,
    have you tried jacking the car up and doing side to side 9 clock and 3 clock on the wheel to see if you have play in the rack or track rod ends?

Just a suggestion, are you able to try putting some different wheels on you car and drive it at 70mph and see if the fault is there?

We do this on customers cars and use sales cars for the wheels
    Then you can eliminate you alloys from causing the shaking.

It could be a possible bulge in the tyre that could be distorted as ive had this happen from previous experience with my gf's pug 106. spin the wheels round and ull notice it.

If the above is the same then its time to start looking at drivetrain parts like drive shafts.

hope this helps

michael
    Thanks Michael, I'm not that technical when it comes to knowing what I'm looking for in the measurement of play that you would expect from that and haven't got a great experience in jacking my car up and playing around inside the car while its on stilts (not something I like to bugger up).

From what the garage dudes did they looked like they had the hand on the tyres and shook it themselves while it was on the ground if that helps, not sure what to diagnose from that they didn't say "oh something is lose" they just carried on to balancing the wheels with hub centric fitting not lugs.

The tyres+alloy from when they were in my hands to when they were on the wheel balancing did not look bad to me at all, no obvious bulges or cuts either.

Stock OEM Alloys were fine and hit 70mph fine without any problems, its just as soon as i put these new wheels on it's all gone pear shaped for me, can't enjoy my car if i want to go on faster roads like national road speed limit etc without endangering myself or others on the road at my side.

if anyone wants to talk about this on the phone with me who has more technical knowledge to offer me i can explain everything in detail and then I can go on a mission tomorrow morning and hit every Tyre/wheel garage up I can find with all the different testing tools they have to find out in the end what the problem is, definitely going to check the tyres out for anything unusual if they are crapped I'm going to have them changed and not look back at the problem but call it a bloody mistake in life.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like to me that the spigot rings are incorrect.
    you say there are known to be the right size? did you buy the alloys new?
    is it possible that you can check that you have the right ones fitted?
    As i do know that you can get vibration and shaking at speeds from fitting wrong spigot rings to aftermarket alloys

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_sxi View Post
    It sounds like to me that the spigot rings are incorrect.
    you say there are known to be the right size? did you buy the alloys new?
    is it possible that you can check that you have the right ones fitted?
    As i do know that you can get vibration and shaking at speeds from fitting wrong spigot rings to aftermarket alloys
    Michael im with you on that one, Ive been sitting here wishing i recorded the value of the spigot rings down before they were fitted to the car so that I could confirm the outer and inner diameter so that I can cross-reference that with the known to be right size: 73mm Outer D and a 65.1mm Inner D based on Team Dynamics bore at 73mm and Astra 65.1mm hub diameter.

So yeah the first thing im doing in the morning is ringing up an alloy dealer and checked for that exact measurement of spigot rings, having them replace the old ones and hit the motorway and see if that fixed it, if not then It's probably the tyres, if not then arm brushing etc?

I would take my wheel off but the only problem with that mate is that I don't think I have the correct wrench to get the nuts undone, they usually gun them up in every garage I go to (standard practice or standard laziness?) and it'll be useless trying to change them if i get a blow out I can tell you that!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think the hub diameter on an astra is 65.6 i had 65.1 and the were shaking changed to 65.6 and there fine now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumitgood View Post
    Michael im with you on that one, Ive been sitting here wishing i recorded the value of the spigot rings down before they were fitted to the car so that I could confirm the outer and inner diameter so that I can cross-reference that with the known to be right size: 73mm Outer D and a 65.1mm Inner D based on Team Dynamics bore at 73mm and Astra 65.1mm hub diameter.

So yeah the first thing im doing in the morning is ringing up an alloy dealer and checked for that exact measurement of spigot rings, having them replace the old ones and hit the motorway and see if that fixed it, if not then It's probably the tyres, if not then arm brushing etc?
    Yeah that would be your best bet spigot rings arent very expensive at all depending on size etc. yeah hit the motorway and see if theres any difference. if its the same i would swap the tyres diagnally and see if that makes any differece but i doubt it will be the same after fitting new spigiot rings

Just been on the net and found this its a friendly read and explains well

Spigot size is a bit trickier....the spigot is the bit in the centre of the hub that you rest the inside centre of the wheel on whilst aligning the studs and screwing back the wheel nuts. On generic after market wheels, the spigot hole inside the wheels is a lot bigger than the spigot on the car. So what you need to do in this case is fit spigot locating rings. These are just rings of aluminium or hard plastic, that fit over the spigot on your car and then have a proper fit with the spigot hole on the wheel. If you don't have the spigot taking all the weight of the car, chances are you'll break one or more studs when you drive the car hard or have to brake hard. Remember the wheel nuts are simply there to hold the wheel on, NOT support the weight of the car. Also, as there is nothing to centre the wheel, you'll notice the wheels go in and out of balance because as you drive around, they'll move around on the hub.

michael

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J4M VX View Post
    i think the hub diameter on an astra is 65.6 i had 65.1 and the were shaking changed to 65.6 and there fine now
    Not to seem unkind or rude of your suggestion although I believe what you posted to be incorrect, the hub is 65.1 to my knowledge? so how would increasing the inner diameter hole larger make it a tighter fit, I'd presume it would increase the vibration and cause more problems as it would loosen up around the hub, unless you typo'd something or was misinformed by sales clerk, got any details on the 65.6 hub information or centric rings with such, I heard if the weight isn't taken off the lugs it can crack off and lose your wheel and can be fatal mate.

Not saying it didn't fix your problem just aware of the danger of having a not so snug fit.

Would like more details or certain confirmation, ebay item or whatever site / shop you purchased them from that would sell them?

Would appreciate if you also took the wheel off and checked however each aftermarket alloy has an outter diameter which is based on the alloy itself and this is different per aftermarket alloy manufacturer therefor maybe you mean that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast