Thread: Ipod Connectivity.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ipod Connectivity.

Now i know that technically this should be in the electrical section, however this is astra discussion related so in theory im ok.

Ok so i got an ipod for xmas, and have so far been unlucky with the FM transmittors Ive purchased including the £50 one from Comet with autoscan. Some are so heavy that they rotate the 12V socket around and just slowly end up unpside down.

Now im thinking of changing the cdr500 for a head unit that will play ipods and that i can control from the steering wheel AND that will still make the display work on the console.

Can anybody suggest anything. Ive never had a non standard head unit before so i have no idea what are best makes or what have you. I dont mind paying a bit more for a better one.
    Regal Phase 1 + Intercooler
    270BHP 300ftlb And Nothing Else, All standard

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I swapped mine over for an Alpine IDAx200. There are at least two other models 'IDAx300' & 'IDAx100'. x100 being the most superior and the x300 being the standard model. I went for the mid range as it was about £70 cheaper than the highest spec, where it does pretty much the same but with a slightly different screen format. + i liked the blue lights on the x200 .

It has a seperate port on the back of the head unit box where you can connect your ipod via a cable (sold seperately) or via USB (included). It also charges your ipod whilst connected which is a bonus . I trailed the wire from the back through the dash and and filed a small slot, where the light in the glove box is loacted. Keeps everything out the way . You control the ipod through the unit similar to the ipod. You can skip through playlists, podcasts, artists etc all via the knob on the unit. Where it is then displayed on the unit LCD screen. The only thing you loose are the radio stations displayed on the GPU? (the computer on the centre console). But that doesn't matter as they're displayed on the unit itself, which is very clear. If you want to control music etc through the steering wheel controls, then you need to buy an adaptor for the wiring. I think i was quoted about £35 for one. Which i swiftly rejected! but up to you However they don't work with every head unit apparently so thats something you'd have to find out. Hope this has helped a little bit, good luck!

They're down to ~£130 now, heres the link for you to look at:

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?i...FQtfQgodlVueTw

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a kenwood cd mp3 player in my car and i can safly say its the best one ive had so far. the sound quality is so much better then some of the cheaper ones. and it has never let me down.
    i paid bout £200 for mine but last time i looked it was down to £100 in halfords. ill try find the one i got.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.