Thread: Daft Question: Why Dry?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Daft Question: Why Dry?

Why do you have to dry with a waffle weave, instead of just leaving it to dry naturally?

Is it as simply as time saving/ beating the rain (it is England after all)? Or does hand drying it remove dust and dirt that will settle in the water droplets etc?
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Try it and see...you get no water marks at all, but when you leave it to dry on it's own you get water marks, plus any marks where dust has settled in the water, which then dries on I think it also helps to buff the whole car with a microfibre after the towel drying too - brings a little shine back to the wax - even better if this is done with a quick detailer

I didn't dry mine until last year when I nicked an old bath towel for doing so - it looks much much shinier after drying, and no water marks!

But yeah, once it rains, back to square one, though rain usually has less 'stuff' in it, so when rain dries you usually get less noticeable water marks than from tap water - this is partly why a few people rinse their car with reverse osmisis water after washing - there is nothing at all in it so in a dust free environment it should evaporate and leave no marks at all.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    this is partly why a few people rinse their car with reverse osmisis water after washing - there is nothing at all in it so in a dust free environment it should evaporate and leave no marks at all.

LMAO, talk about extreme! I just want a clean shiny car, not a sterilised one

Thanks for the info mate
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    water has minerals in it which when left to dry get left on the paintwork causing water marks/spots.

to make it easier use a flood of water to rinse rather than a spray as the water will sheet off rather than bead leaving less water to mop up.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Why do you have to dry with a waffle weave, instead of just leaving it to dry naturally?

Is it as simply as time saving/ beating the rain (it is England after all)? Or does hand drying it remove dust and dirt that will settle in the water droplets etc?
    Amraam, i have been using one of these since the weather as turned cooler/ damp, as drying is a bit of a job http://www.monzacarcare.com/products/?category_id=6203
    there is no need to dry , this does not leave any streaks, but in the summer time i tend to dry the car though, hope this helps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mainly cause i CBA waiting for it to dry naturally
    My name is Pete
    Click >> here << for my Coupe build log

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've always just let mine dry then gone over the whole car with quick detailer to get rid of the water marks- gives it that little bit more shine

also saves me buying a drying towel, my mam would kill me if i nicked the bathroom towels
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vMatt View Post
    i've always just let mine dry then gone over the whole car with quick detailer to get rid of the water marks- gives it that little bit more shine

also saves me buying a drying towel, my mam would kill me if i nicked the bathroom towels

qding over water spots can induce scraches and swirls if a bit gets caught in the cloth.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
    Amraam, i have been using one of these since the weather as turned cooler/ damp, as drying is a bit of a job http://www.monzacarcare.com/products/?category_id=6203
    there is no need to dry , this does not leave any streaks, but in the summer time i tend to dry the car though, hope this helps
    Pretty much the same as getting RO water at 0ppm. I get RO water from my local aquatics place (West Dorset Aquatics). I get 40l for £1
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring