Thread: Question about Insuring a Astra 888 CDTI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question about Insuring a Astra 888 CDTI

How do the owners of these insure their cars?

ive been looking at one for sometime now and the othernite i thought id get a quote on insurance for one so i used the reg on one i was looking at and the insurance company only picks it up as a ASTRA SRI 1.9 CDTI 150.

I know thats how the 888's started off but do you just insure it as that or what? or do you have to declare all the mods ? which would be unfair as in therory the 888 is classed as a limited edition but standard.

i would be concerned as to say for instance the wheels got stolen, will the insurance pay out for the 888 wheels or just 5 spoke pentas?
    Astra Thurlby T9 CDTI -200bhp 343lb torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need to insure it as a modified car as thats what it is, its not a factory car mearly a car thats been modified by a dealer. The likes of Chris Knott recognise the car as far as I recall (but at that you will pay a premium as its still classed as modified), but for the majority of insurance companies you will need to insure it as a standard car and declare the modifications.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    You need to insure it as a modified car as thats what it is, its not a factory car mearly a car thats been modified by a dealer. The likes of Chris Knott recognise the car as far as I recall (but at that you will pay a premium as its still classed as modified), but for the majority of insurance companies you will need to insure it as a standard car and declare the modifications.
    I work in the motor trade and i have facility to put reg in and bring details of a car up which i assume thats simular to what insurance companys do.

how comes the mk4 astra coupe 888s are registered as 888s and come up on the computer as 888 when entering a reg?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toyboy View Post
    I work in the motor trade and i have facility to put reg in and bring details of a car up which i assume thats simular to what insurance companys do.

how comes the mk4 astra coupe 888s are registered as 888s and come up on the computer as 888 when entering a reg?

Because they are far more special than the F8 mk5's.

The T8 was registered as the car it is, it wasn't registered as a 2.0T. The F8's were registered as a 150 CDTI then taken to a dealer to have an EDS map put on and some off the shelf brakes.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

888;s were never factory built cars which is why they dont show up on the insurance database. They were dealer specials done by Thurlby and thus show on the databae as the 150CDTi (or 120CDTi in the case of the early ones).

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    888;s were never factory built cars which is why they dont show up on the insurance database. They were dealer specials done by Thurlby and thus show on the databae as the 150CDTi (or 120CDTi in the case of the early ones).
    silly question, but were the mk4 coupe 888's factory built then?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah the MK4 888 was a factory car which is why it shows up on the insurance database.(well a standard coupe turbo roughly done by 88.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How do the owners of these insure their cars?

ive been looking at one for sometime now and the othernite i thought id get a quote on insurance for one so i used the reg on one i was looking at and the insurance company only picks it up as a ASTRA SRI 1.9 CDTI 150.

I know thats how the 888's started off but do you just insure it as that or what? or do you have to declare all the mods ? which would be unfair as in therory the 888 is classed as a limited edition but standard.

i would be concerned as to say for instance the wheels got stolen, will the insurance pay out for the 888 wheels or just 5 spoke pentas?

just buy a proper 888 like the mk4 instead of a fake mk5 lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 liam View Post
    just buy a proper 888 like the mk4 instead of a fake mk5 lol
    Would rather the mk5 diesel 888 any day over the coupe 888