Thread: Law on breaks & college?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Law on breaks & college?

Just chatting with the sister, who tells me that sometime soonish i think (oh, i only half listened) their timetable is being altered
    story short, it means that on a thursday, they've been told they wont be getting a dinner break

Is this allowed?

I know with work, if you're set to work 6hours or more, then it's a 20min uninterupted break somewhere in the middle

Don't know what the crack is with college, or even anywhere for proof of what the 'law' would be

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not entirely sure...I think that personally, I'd be boycotting 10 minutes at the end of the lesson before normal lunchtime, and 10 minutes at the beginning of the lesson after that time frame.

Staff would not accept that, and I think it's unfair for them to expect students to do it either. Might be worth speaking to a Student Union rep if one is available.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'll let her know

She told me that she said to this tutor that they can't do it & it's illegal (obviously, without double checking to find out if it 100% is).

Tutor apparently told my sister not to tell her what is and isn't illegal, that SHE didn't make the change, and that this is the change that is coming in, BUT she'll see 'what she can do'

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, if that was the response then it's a bit off...but my guess is the tutor had a room full of students complaining at the time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    most educational establishments are excempt from health and safety regulations, so i would be checking very carefully before anything is said. These are the people that will be influencing your sisters grades, last thing she wants to do is upset them

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    True, but to make them 'learn' for a solid 6 hours with no break is not going to help them get the best grades...I think the class as a whole needs to sensibly approach the college about it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if it applies to schools but I'm sure in a working environment you're supposed to be entitled to a 15 minute break in every 4 hours worked, I think that's right, I could be wrong mind, but fairly sure that's the case. Might not apply in schools as duff said.
    Full Courtenay rebuilt engine...VXR turbo... full stainless Millek exhaust... re-mapped... lightened fly wheel... race/sports clutch... more to come?? Oh yes!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I know what you're saying & i personally think my sister needs to learn when to cool it a bit. She's very hotheaded & will twist things when she's in a mood, so i've taken what she's said with a slight pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by muttley View Post
    Not sure if it applies to schools but I'm sure in a working environment you're supposed to be entitled to a 15 minute break in every 4 hours worked, I think that's right, I could be wrong mind, but fairly sure that's the case. Might not apply in schools as duff said.
    You're wrong mate, AFAIK I dunno where people get this 15min break & 4hrs thing from though as it's not the first time i've been told that. I've been given it by people before who tell me that it IS the law & argue that i am wrong

Thing is, when it was kicking off at my workplace, i went onto the government website & looked into it.
    6hours continuous...
    ...20min break...
    ...uninterupted...
    ...somewhere in the middle of the 6hrs

kr00zin_uk
    Even as a student, she will have the right to complain and there will be an official complaints procedure in place for her to follow.

She will also have the right to an appeal if the complaint is not upheld and investigated "reasonably", to a satisfactory outcome.

Personally I think she should definitely be getting a lunch break of at least 30 minutes, but unfortunately sometimes timetables must be changed to due to unforeseen circumstances.

However as someone previously mentioned, I'm not sure whether the law on breaks actually applies to students. But she should still make an official complaint if she is unhappy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    You're wrong mate, AFAIK I dunno where people get this 15min break & 4hrs thing from though as it's not the first time i've been told that. I've been given it by people before who tell me that it IS the law & argue that i am wrong

Thing is, when it was kicking off at my workplace, i went onto the government website & looked into it.
    6hours continuous...
    ...20min break...
    ...uninterupted...
    ...somewhere in the middle of the 6hrs
    i thought it was 4hours and 15mins break to be honest, but that was in my old job 4 years ago, so not sure if its changed or anything, with my new job, its completely different so dont care anymore lol.

and as for upsetting your tutors, they only mark your work through out the year, your exams go to an external source and if you feel you havent been awarded the grade you feel you have achieved, i believe you can request a remark...again its a few years since i went to college so might have changed regarding that second point lol.

as mentioned i would go to a student union rep person. 6 hours straight is WAY too much!!! your head would explode!

all of the above is my opinions and what i have been told, learnt in the past, so no flaming
    Hey Dick,whats in for the Big Brain Quiz tonight? Certainly Gents, thats 200 quid. WHAT! each! DOUBLE WHAT! Thats abit steep isnt it...? steep...its f-ing verticle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast