Thread: Neighbours and planning permission

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Neighbours and planning permission

One of my neighbours has submitted planning permission for a 2 storey extension, which I have no issues with at all. However as part of the planning they want to bring the garage 1m further forward (its attached to the house) and add a larger porch and a pitched roof across the front to cover the garage and the porch.. You may be able to see details here:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/PSR/con...se+Elevations+

Now I dont really have an objection other than the extension to the garage and the and the pitched roof going along the porch and garage. The reason I dont like it is because all the houses in the road and certainly our corner are identical and I think it will look very over powering and not in keeping with the road.

The question is do you contest it, baring in mind they are your neighbours, and you may want planning permission yourself in the very near future (although ours is to the back of the house and nothing to do with the front)?

Its a tricky one as they will know I have done it, for my views to be taken seriously but there is no love lost either better us so I am not all that bothered. Has any one got any experiance with this sort of thing?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IT can be contested on the grounds its not in keeping with the rest of the properties easy enough. One of the reasons we weren't allowed what we originally wanted and had to change the plans slightly.

Thats a fairly substantial change though - in total, surely going to exceed the ceiling price of the properties ?? Have you sounded out other neighbours about their feelings ? If its just you then you could be flogging a dead horse to begin with tbh

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    be respectable about it and speak to them with your concerns, if they won't listen or are rude in anyway then contest away.
    they can re submit with alterations like said above and they may also be fine with you.

you can make enemies with this sort of thing
    Honda Integra Type R
    MK4 Astra TD LS Estate

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    they are enemies already, speaking sense to these people is like talking in a completely different language! I know none of the other neighbours will be bothered, and Sarah thinks let them get on with it as well, I just think its a shame the houses will lose there character, added to that we will have yet another car on the road in our little grove, because with the garge coming further out they will not be able to get 2 cars on the drive (they already have 3 and another daughter leaning to drive)
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are putting forward what they would like so if you dont like it say no.

If the planers agree then they will have to come up with new plans.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and it costs them money to resubmit.

i'm a wuss though so i'd say tread carefully
    Honda Integra Type R
    MK4 Astra TD LS Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Phone the local planning officer and mention your concerns and gauge their opinions on it, they may well agree, and it's a worth doing before putting in anything formal.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    From what you say the proposed extension will be at odds with the rest of the houses close to it both from a looks and frontage alignment point of view and there is a good chance that the plans would be rejected without complaints from other residents. Thats how it seems to work in my neck of the woods anyway. Not too sure how sympathetice the planners in Brum are TBH!

May be worth speaking to the planning department to see if they will poo poo the application out of hand on the above grounds or if objection from others would be required for refusal, so that if you do decide that you don't want the development to go ahead, you know whether or not you need to 'rock the boat' to conclude the matter to your own satisfaction, whatever that may be lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Or alternatively, ask the neighbours to cross your palms with silver for you to keep schtumm!

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You have plenty of reason to be unhappy about somethin like this. I'm quite fussy about the aesthetics of the street I live on as well as my own house. When house hunting, the first thing I look at is the street as a whole and whether or not it stacks up well. The actual house is somewhat secondary as you can change that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast