Thread: Advice on car hire (foreign)

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Advice on car hire (foreign)

Trying to book a car for hire, but all the companies offer different things like levels of insurance, what is covered and what isn't, damage waivers, total damage waivers etc.

If you have rented a car before, what is the most important thing to look for. Basically if I smash it to pieces, I don't want to have to pay to repair it . Also only being 22, not all companies will let me have a car, so I am a bit limited for choice. But any help will be appreciated. Canary Islands is location, so its in Europe.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hired a car last year in Portugal and added the 'collision damage waiver' at the cost of 150 euros to the insurance on the rental to reduce the excess from 1500 euros to a much lower one (that I can't remember).

My father in law then decided to cause 3600 euros worth of damage to it (his fault) and Hertz have (without telling me) deducted this full amount from my father in laws credit card (he paid on his card - thankfully, lol!)

So be wary whatever you do!!
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm interesting. Have found a company that is giving fully comp insurance and it only mentions an excess on class E1+E2 & Q1+Q2 category cars. Which I don't think I will be having. No mention if there is an excess on other cars. Collision damage waiver seems standard on all the cars I have been looking at as well.

Think I will pay for it on the credit card though, gives a little more protection that way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Collision Damage Waiver is standard across most companies. It is basically a charge for the insurance provided and usually leaves you with an excess to pay in the event of any accidental damage howsoever caused (even if you aren't in the car). You can also pay what is known as an excess waiver which will bring your liability for accidental damage down to nothing. Be careful though most companies will not cover things like personal negligence or misuse of the vehicle which generally include damage to the inside of the vehicle by yourself or any passangers, putting the wrong type of fuel in the car, roof or overhead damage etc. Also there is a good reason that hire companies request that you pay via a credit card is so that even though they may only take a small or minimal deposit it enables them to ringfence a certain amount of money on your card so that if they need to recoup any damages or charges then they can just deduct it from the card without asking. This is usually explained in the T & C's but you would be there for ages reading them on the back of the rental contract. Check what catagory E1+E2 & Q1 + Q2 are as well. In this business paying by credit card actually protects the lessor not the hirer.

HTH

BTW I work for ford rental
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe debit card would be better then?

Cheers for advice mate. This is one of the companies I have been looking at, what do you think? Only want a cheap car for the week, can get a Ka or Aygo for about £100, but for about £10 more you can upgrade to a Corsa or similar which is what I will do.
    http://www.recordrentacar.com/car_hi...ondiciones.htm

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    From the looks of it buckle they only take credit cards. (For a reason, lol)

But aside from that it looks ok. Price is not too bad either. Just remember to go straight to a fuel staion as it says that cars picked up from gran canaria are supplied as the last person left them fuel wise. Don't forget you will need to provide both parts of your licence and probably some proof of where you are staying, Hotel booking form or similar. Also noticed the things not covered by the insurance:
    The insurance does not cover the following:
    • Flat tires
    • Damage to third parties due to negligence or reckless driving.
    • Damage caused to the vehicle due to negligence or reckless driving.
    • Inadequate refuelling.
    • Damage to tires and wheels.
    • Loss or damage of car keys or remote locks. Depending on the type of vehicle the charge ranges between € 30 and € 120
    • Damage to the lock, upholstery and rear shelf.
    • Damage or loss of the child seats or booster seats.
    • Damage or loss of ariels, car jack, security triangles, wiper-blades and deposit cap.
    • Damage to the engine due to negligence.
    • Damage to the vehicle’s underside (housing, bodywork, etc.)
    • Misuse of the clutch.
    • Theft of the vehicle with keys in the starter.
    • Driving under the effects of the alcohol.
    • Damages to windshields and windows

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers mate. Just need to be careful with it then

All the companies seem similar in the list of stuff excluded. Its more just the huge excess i'm worried about if the worst happens.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Pay for the full protection then. All companies offer it.