Thread: Diesel MOT Test

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Diesel MOT Test

Ive been reading round and apparently for the smoke test the engine is revved from idle to redline a maximum of 6 times

It says this test 'should not do any damage to a well maintained engine'.

Now as far as I know its been maintained as it should be, I dont much like the prospect of some numpty in a garage ragging the shit out of my motor, considering I never go above 3.5/4k...... I assume if you refuse to allow this to happen your car cannot pass the MOT?

What happens when you allow them to have fun with your loud pedal, that the engine DOES break? What sort of comeback do you have???

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If the engine can't take hitting the redline when it is under no load (i.e. it is not driving, just revving at standstill) then the engine isn't right...if every deisel MOT does this then so far no-one I know of on here has had problems.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive always given my diesels a bit of a blowout on the way to the test centre then drop it off and go for a walk, I cant stand listening to some numnut redlining/mistreating my engine.
    From my understanding the engine is redlined once to check the govenor is cutting in when it should, then red lined once more to check the emissions. If it fails the first time the procedure can be repeated 6 futher times to see if it clears.
    As you say, I dont treat my car like that so why should anybody else

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pah...redlining an engine is good for it so long as it isn't all the time! The redline is a limit that is before the safe maximum rpm for that engine anyhow...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And the diesel test for MOT doesnt require the engine to be held at redline either, it's just a gentle rev up & immediate release following the instructions on the diesel test screen, up to a max of 6 times, which may sometimes be repeated twice over if the emissions fails at the first oil temp of 60deg - a 2nd test carried out at 80deg.

The garage should always be checking the oil first for level etc.. and confirming with the driver of the cambelt history - thats a requirement of the test to check.
    Best Regards,
    Nick..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    never asked me about my cambelt and i never heard it rev'd
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a bit of lead footin is good for dieselsit helps clean the innards out why do u think we cough

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeh, accepted, red lining a diesel briefly should cause no harm as the govenor will stop the engine overspeeding anyway, but to me who maintains & rebuilds diesel engines, albeit large ones, I have an appreciation of what goes on in an engine and tend to have a mechanically sympathetic ear, that was all.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reassurances

Cambelt not an issue here - I dont have one Either way its going to have to be done as it needs an MOT so ill to put up or shut up hehe

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just had mine tested last week they dont need to rag the arse out of it they can do a fast test so as long as u dont take it to nigel mansells sons place u should be ok they should ask u first if its had cam belt done recently dunno why i always say no