Thread: Cleaning The Coupé

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cleaning The Coupé - Part 2 Added!!

A little step by step guide here as to how I like to wash/detail he coupe.
    Any critisisms, notes may be added, i'm always open to new suggestions!

Here it is looking very dirty. Have to love the combination of dirty water spray and road salt

First thing I like to do is rinse it thoughrally with 'sheet' water as i call it, basically just let the water come out of the hose normally and slide down the paint, I find if you were to pressure wash straight away it can work dirt and grit in to your paint.

After this a pre-wash foam is applied, Personally I use Valet Pro Neutral PH Snow Foam, and mix a solution either with chemical guys Maxi suds II or AutoGlym Bodywork shampoo. In this case Autoglym.

This is the fun bit, i usually like to apply the foam with more air less water as this produces a thicker foam which sticks to the car longer. Pics are just before washing the foam off.

Then on to the '2 bucket' method, i'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with this! Basically you have 2 buckets one warm with cleaning agents, and another for rinsing the mitt, this stops the contamination of grit in the warm water bucket!

Also a wash mitt is essential for car washing as it traps dirt particles within the fibres and therefor doesn't drag them along the surface and cause swirls like sponge does. Just for the record mine is a Megs Lambswool Mitt.

After a wash with the mitt and a rinse, the finished article comes out like this.

Back

Front with behind plates cleaned.

Now on to claying. I personally use Megs Clay with Megs Quick Detailer
    Here's the clay before...

And here it is after doing the bootlid. Car looked clean didn't it!

That's all i've achieved today! Tomorrow I'll be applying a few coats of various polish, and show car glaze, sealed with a resin polish and a Megs NXT wax.

Before moving on to alloys and tyres, and other finer detailing!

First applying Megs Cleaner/Polish dual action which is slightly abrasive, I toyed with the idea of applying Diamond cut compound first, then decided againt it as time asn't on my side.

So first up I prefer to masking tape of the joints which will be machined polished, the bottom I leave for hand polishing.

Half way through...

Here it is after 1 coat of Megs Dual Action

Then followed by another coat Of AG Super Resin (No photos as it's self explantory!)

Then a quick shot after the Super Resin and the Extra Gloss Protection

And here after 2 coats of Megs Techwax

Paint reflection...

Now on to the wheels, after the 5 coats of reccomended Poorboys wheel sealant Gaz advised to do! And Megs Edurance gloss gel.

Unfortunately there's no photos of the finished article just yet as it got too dark. But i'll grab some tomorrow and i'm sure there will be some from the AOC meet tomorrow which i'll add up too!

As usual, any question,comments of critisisms, post them up!
    Coupe Turbo Evolution - 320ps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looks great and a great write up. all i will say is that there is no need to rinse before foaming, go straight into the foam and then rinse, reason is because the grit/dirt will be dragged off the car without being lifted off first.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've tried that before and just find if you rinse before foaming it loosens the dirt just that little bit more!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need to get another clay bay to do the coupe. It's in dier need of it.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How long should a claybar last? Just until you can't find no white bits I guess!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two of my sonus green clays did my 52reg astra twice, my mums 51plate picasso and my grandads T-reg Volvo S40.

Depends how dirty the car is I guess...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This one has done the coupe twice now still loads of clean spots left.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i find it best to use 1/3 block at a time. because if you accidentally drop it you have spare clean stuff and i find 1/3 block does my coupe (depends on how bad it is)so can get many uses out of one block without reusing old clay.

clay can be used untill it cant be needed clean.

i always keep my old blocks for claying the glass
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting stuff! I have a really smeary front windscreen atm, my guess is de-icer all over it, will claying the whole windscreen eliminate this Ben?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make sure its spotless, try the clay or ag glass polish, if this still doesn't work use a small amount of acetone and use quickly, do not allow it to stay on the screen for to long, then clean with a glass cleaner or polish. i use megs glass cleaner and its really good.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast