Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Filters, Back Boxes, Rims and all that jazz!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Air Filters, Back Boxes, Rims and all that jazz!

Hi everyone!

Before I go on, yes I'm new to this forum so I'm all open to the abuse that follows

I'm an astravan owner, 2003 envoy 1.7 dti to be exact.

I have a few questions and would greatly appreaciate any feedback. I've tralled thorugh the forums and found nothing of any relevance so if it's already been asked please bare with me

Ok here goes...

AIR FILTERS

I would like my van to sound like a big man on the lav. You know the 4000rpm rasp! The only problem is that I cannot locate my air filter let alone order a nice k and n replacement that will fit. I'm a plumber so I'm not a hands-on recluse, in fact, I'd say I'm relatively nifty with the old socket set. Needless to say I would love to hear from you if you have done this or know how to and could recomend the correct parts. Links please people

RIMS

The age old querey of cheap rims. Yes, we all know we're going to pay out of our rim holes for a nice set but any good value links would be perfect. I'm looking for a nice set of 18's to squeeze on the van. 5/6 spoke would be ideal.

BACKBOX

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet. Any advice on putting a backbox on a diesel van. The sloppy, non responsive engine gives me a few minor inclingations that the conclusive sound won't be as impressive as petrol wagons. Please leave feedback.

SPRINGS

Looking to take the footwell nearer the road. Any links for back springs to drop it around 40mm. Any advice on lowering? good idea/bad idea?

Have got plenty of reddies to spend on van but would prefer cheaper options.

Also is the engine in my van similar or the same as the equivilant astra?

So many questions so little time

G/F's nagging me to get off pc so gota shoot.

All advice is really appreciated so please get typing.

Kind regards,

Mark
    FAO: Everyone
    We do not look like gypsy's in our astravans, we are merely tasteful van owners.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    airbox is on the lefthand of the engine bay side in a big black box with 4 silver clips sorry cant help with the i have a standard estate

Welcome to the site drop a post in chit chat if you havent done so already and get some pics of your van up
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    airbox is as above, left handside of the engine in a box.

rims, nice 18's pentas look sweet on a g but like you say they cost.

springs, lower the better but in my opinion the 50/40 drop gives the g the best stance

backbox, you wont get performance so just something subtle, the irmy one is a popular choice

oh and welcome to aoc
    - Black 2.0 SRi DTi Mk4 Astra -

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, air filter located!!!... thanks.

Will I get a nice sound out of just replacing the filter itself? I imagine a whole induction kit would be much more beneficial, sound, performance and economically??

Are springs something that I can change myself. I was under the impression that they're mini death traps! I mean one small move and one of them on your nose can't be pleasent : )
    We do not look like gypsy's in our astravans, we are merely tasteful van owners.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Changing panel filter won't make any difference to engine sound,however my neighbour swears my car sounds a bit beefier after fitting vectra c air intake,de-restricting the air box,+fitting a pipercross panel filter!(Im not a K&N fan)

For more sound some people drill holes on the wing side of the airbox(below the filter obviously),drilling holes anywhere else will incur heatsoak which you don't want!

Cone filters seem to be bad for heatsoak,there are sealed induction kits that prevent heatsoak,but I couldn't really give any info on those as I haven't tried them!
    Performance wise,you won't get much more difference between doing the above and spending cash on induction kit+exhaust system from what Ive researched(just costs alot more!)

Im considering drilling the airbox myself,might pick one up at the scrappies for this purpose.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    airfilter.
    i got rid of my airbox and i put a cone filter about 10"/12" away from the turbo.can hear it spooling up a treat and makes the standard waste gate sound awsome to.
    heres some pics so u get an idea

you can just bout see it thru the hole imade in the bumper,the red thing lol

its down there somewhere to lol

as for wheels it totally up to you what you choose.

i have a back box on mine,will get a vid so u know how it sounds

you cud get springs or get coilovers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADJUSTABLE-COI...742.m153.l1262

email the guy and say your from here and put in a asking price of £140 and he will accept it.theres a massive thread on here about these coilovers.really good bit of kit for the cost.heres the link.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...ight=coilovers

hope this helps
    streetbasser

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootb73 View Post

For more sound some people drill holes on the wing side of the airbox(below the filter obviously),drilling holes anywhere else will incur heatsoak which you don't want!
    Yea I've heard of this, I'm slightly reluctant to take me DeWalt to the box though! Does any one have any pics of this?

Surely there must be a longterm downside?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazvan_86 View Post
    airfilter.
    i got rid of my airbox and i put a cone filter about 10"/12" away from the turbo.can hear it spooling up a treat and makes the standard waste gate sound awsome to.
    heres some pics so u get an idea

you can just bout see it thru the hole imade in the bumper,the red thing lol

its down there somewhere to lol

i have a back box on mine,will get a vid so u know how it sounds

That all sounds a tad extreme to me, bearing in mind I'm relatively simple when it comes to my engine

I cant see the hole in your bumper i can see a red hose in the second picture.. is this it? I'm sure the airbox is in the top right of the engine bay??? Apoligies if I got this all wrong.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can see the red filter in the hole below the headlight in the top picture,thats the cone filter.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah yea I see it. Scoot you put any more thought into drilling ya box?

How many holes, size????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast