Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING! watch out for garages overtightening locking wheel nuts

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation WARNING! watch out for garages overtightening locking wheel nuts

hi,

i had a flat today on the way home. when i went to change the wheel, the locking nut had been done up so tightly, i couldn't get it off. i had to call up the AA and they had to drill out the bolt. nightmare and has damaged my alloys slightly. Had my rear disks replaced only 3 days ago at kwickfit and when re fitting the wheel, they must of overtightned them. just a word of warning, its best to find out if your bolts are too tight before you are trying to change them at the side of the dual carriage way!

calum

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That and people who put loctite on dust caps to stop them coming loose...fine until you want to get the damn dust cap off!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I always check my bolts when i get home and re-torque them correctly. I had one car where the bolts were that tight it broke 2 sockets and knackered the locking wheel nut key and I ended up paying £20 to get them removed.

Trouble is garages tighten them up with an airgun then just put the torque wrench on and most of the time it clicks straight away, they don't back it off first before checking.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calumstone View Post
    hi,

i had a flat today on the way home. when i went to change the wheel, the locking nut had been done up so tightly, i couldn't get it off. i had to call up the AA and they had to drill out the bolt. nightmare and has damaged my alloys slightly. Had my rear disks replaced only 3 days ago at kwickfit and when re fitting the wheel, they must of overtightned them. just a word of warning, its best to find out if your bolts are too tight before you are trying to change them at the side of the dual carriage way!

calum

Mate i had exactly this same problem with kwickfit.
    I couldn't get bolt off when i hanged my suspension.
    Taked to garage and they used flame and hummer.
    Nightmare, never more kwikfit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishtaz View Post
    I always check my bolts when i get home and re-torque them correctly. I had one car where the bolts were that tight it broke 2 sockets and knackered the locking wheel nut key and I ended up paying £20 to get them removed.

Trouble is garages tighten them up with an airgun then just put the torque wrench on and most of the time it clicks straight away, they don't back it off first before checking.
    I work in a garage and do the above, however I only use the airgun to spin the nuts up. Then when torquing them up, if it clicks straight away I know to back off and do it again.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Almost had the same problem myself last week, locking nuts are a bitch once they have been done up too tight.

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i feel for you mate, kwikfit want them in and out so quick they dont care about what problems they may cause a few weeks down the line. i had a problem with locking wheel nuts on my old fiesta, took it in to kwikfit to have a wheel changed but the key snapped and had buggered the locking nut! took ages to get it off, was happy until i noticed the other 3 wheels had the same locking wheel nuts!

from other previous experiences with locking wheel nuts i tend to steer well clear of them, they may prevent your wheels getting stolen but there more hastle than what there worth. im currently looking for a set of wheels with locking stud covers, do the same job less hastle
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I work in a garage, and i tighten wheels up with a gun, but i never do them up so tight that when i torque them up it clicks straight away.

Iv struggled with them myself so i know how it feels.
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourteenhundred View Post
    I work in a garage, and i tighten wheels up with a gun, but i never do them up so tight that when i torque them up it clicks straight away.

Iv struggled with them myself so i know how it feels.
    I've struggled with a few but generally never have a problem with them.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had the same problem 2 months ago. Sat outside tesco's in the evening asking every passer by to lend me their sockets as both of mine had broke trying to get them off.

There is no need to put them on so tight. A car can drive perfectly fine with just 2 nuts tight, never mind all 4/5 that cannot budge. This is a pet hate!!!
    Astra Cabby Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast