Thread: Another I cleaned my car Thread

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another I cleaned my car Thread

I covered about 800 miles on the motorways this weekend, and the car got a little dirty.

My girlfriend was kind enough to write clean me on the back of the car, but it rained that night so it's not as visible

So, after a few hours of cleaning, she's now looking a little better than she did when I arrived home.

First I foamed up the car, then rinsed it off. Washed with Megs Soft Wash Gel with 2 bucket method.

Then I clayed the car, here's a before shot of the clay:

And here's after:

Then she got dried, polished and waxed, leaving me feeling rather happy with myself. Here's the finished pictures:

MK5 Design 1.9 CDTi 150 Sporthatch
    My Garage

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking good mate. What clay, polish and wax did you use??

Also, give your gf a kick in the ovaries for writing things in the dirt, it scratches the paint!!
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, I was going to say the same as Gaz, bad girl for causing swirl marks by writing in the muck!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    Looking good mate. What clay, polish and wax did you use??

Also, give your gf a kick in the ovaries for writing things in the dirt, it scratches the paint!!
    Haha! Oh I've not heard anything quite like that in a long time!

I used Meguiars Quik Clay with the Quick Detailer spray, then just the 3 step Meguiars polish and wax. I'd like something that is really made purposely for the colour, but I don't really have the money to spend on more stuff just yet.

It's a real compliment for you to tell me it looks good btw! Makes it really feel even more worthwhile doing it
    My Garage

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIWY, I'd keep washing then re-applying the stage 3 wax every week as it doesn't last very long at all. Do that until you've saved enough money to get either Pete's 53 @ £20 or, even better, some Dodo Blue Velvet @ £32 (but worth every penny IMO).

You should feel good about your efforts mate. Any detailer will tell you that 80-90% of the finish is in the prep work, and claying is essential to it. Once you've polished a clayed surface, it's so easy to get a good finish.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I do try my best to keep the car clean, as a rule I do wax it once a week, I'll deffinately look to investing in some better wax soon. Is there a polish you'd recommend as well?
    My Garage

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looks great and a good effort there. as gaz said save up and get a good wax when you can afford it. like the before and after claying pics goes to show exactly what you cant see and how dirty it really is!!!
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looks great, same colour as mine id recommend painting the bump strips, it made my car look 10x better
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelslain View Post
    I do try my best to keep the car clean, as a rule I do wax it once a week, I'll deffinately look to investing in some better wax soon. Is there a polish you'd recommend as well?
    Autoglym's SRP (Super Resin Polish) is popular here. Depends how much you want to spend. I haven't used it yet but I'm about to buy a litre from ebay for £10
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Autoglym's SRP (Super Resin Polish) is popular here. Depends how much you want to spend. I haven't used it yet but I'm about to buy a litre from ebay for £10
    Thanks I'll have to go shopping when I get some more money! I've got a huge wishlist on cleanyourcar.com

leeeeshad, the bump strips is my next little project, followed hopefully by the door handles. I just want some warmer weather, I've heard that painting in the cold is a bad idea? There's no way I'll be able to do it in the house, so all I have is my garage, and its deathly cold in there atm!
    My Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast