Thread: 1.7DTi DOHC Starting Troubles

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7DTi DOHC Starting Troubles

Previously posted another thread but got no reply from anyone regarding my issue. Its an 04 plate with 167000 on it never had much problems with it very reliable as a taxi and still runs a treat exept for the starting trouble.

Glow plugs replaced and tested pre fitting three weeks ago with a new starter and battery practically at the same time. Also replaced the fuel filter and seals along with fuel hose checks for air being drawn into the system (hoses and connections along with the filter housing seem to be sound)!!!!!!

If i come out in the morning and start it she usually goes but immediately after shes fired she stutters for 5 seconds or so, tried giving her gas but the same also happens then it goes and it runs perfect till the next time i go to start it.

Next time i go to start it when it hot or cold as long as its not been lying any more than a few hours shes kick over for 10 to 15 seconds now without starting and sometimes she dont want to fire at all. However if i give the starter a quick burst the leave a few seconds and turn her over again she fires stright away. Sometime the stuttering comes and goes when shes starting hot too but i cannot find the problem as there seems to be no fault codes being stored.

Ultimately for now she still starts and thats good but this has been persistent every day for the last two weeks and is becoming very annoying. A neighbour of mine is quite good with cars and recommended i look at:

1st) The Solenoid Relay

2nd) The solenoid itself

He said this is most likely where the problem is occuring and to check these. Going to check these but can any one confim if the fuel solenoid itself can be purchased seperate as it looks to be complete with the pump and point me in the direction as to the colour and location of its relay.

Alternatively could anyone please provide me some advise if they have had a similar problem or if they have any idea what it could be.

All help will be very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does it have the spanner warning light on?
    the 1.7 dti are known for the fuel pump edu to go down, thus failing to start.
    Worth getting it tested

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No this is the thing theres no lights whatsoever so im just trying to trouble shoot and goo through what it might be and tick it off as i go but im trying to do on the ideas that dont cost much first.

No lights and no fault codes relating to the starting of the car have been returned that is why it is very unusual as to what it is.

However i have been told there is no stop solenoid on these types of pump if anyone can confirm this.

Maybe the glow plugs have just been cheap crap and ones chucked it already but although theres a stutter at start up it sounds like air being drawn and not the kind stutter you get from only three cylinders going instead of 4.

Still reckon my best bet is somewhere in the fuel lines but im stuck for where to check as everything i have looked at so far seems to be totally fine. was going to change the fuel filter with another vauxhall one plus buy a new lid for the housing incase its drawing air in through the connectors or the heater elements plug somehow.

Going to try smearing the inlet and out let hoses with grease first to see if that stops it thus pointing to air getting in through the seals on these

However other help would be very appreciated

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    took the filter housing right off today and there was some kind of think gunk in the bottom of it so i cleaned it out with a bit of petrol changed the filter for a genuine vauxhall one and checked the pipes and it seems to have sorted the problem. however it has to be said that while i had the housing off i took the opportunity to check where the inlet and outlet pipes attach to the housing and noticed that the outlet side had a couple of nicks where the pipe goes into the housing.

It seems to be made of plastic or graphite and thus means if this is the problem it will need a new heater top end for the housing (approx 24 quid at vauxhall trade club price). Managed to find an old rubber hose that fits over the top of the pipe so i cut the thinnest of pieces from the rubber and slipped it over the metal pipe then clipped it in to see if it makes a better seal. so far it seems to have done the trick so i dont know if it was one or a mix of these probs.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just letting everyone know the my issue has now come to an end and everything has been resolved. It seems the problem was a mix of the glow plugs and the electric supply plugs that attach to em along with the filter housing.

Some of the supply plugs for the glow plugs were broken and not always making a connection along with those crap glow plugs that the garage fitted. Resistance was checked and it seems the resistance would be seen on plugs of maybe a year or so old and not 7 weeks old.

Also there seems to be some seals that fit between the housing and the supply pipe ends and these were missing causing the system to draw alot of air so these are replaced and seem fine now. It seems that the mix of air and fuel being drawn was screwing with the air fuel mix during injection and causing all the smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!