Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astra G Brake Balancing Valve

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra G Brake Balancing Valve -Solved (With Pics)

Hi folks - newbie here on the forum and thumbs up for a cracking site.

Anyway my question is about the rear brake balancing valve on my lovely little 1.2 16v Astra. Yes it is a 1.2!! (Opel) and yet its still nippy enough for its purpose at somewhere around 80 bhp. Real recession buster! I recently purchased this as a second car for herself having previously owned a 1.4 from new for around 6 years. Anyhow just had it checked over by local garage and all is well apart from a few niggles to be sorted out for which I have already gained a lot of info from this site. First and most important of these niggles is that apparently there is a spring missing from the brake balancing valve. I wondered is this a problem people have experienced as apparently this spring corrodes over time and eventually drops off. This I understand can cause the rear wheels to lock up under heavy braking as the braking force is no longer properly distributed from back to front.

Anyone had problems with this issue? How much for replacement spring and is it difficult to fit? Any photos of said annoyance as I hope to sort this out myself?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome

no piccies I'm afraid, but it's just a thing on the rear floor pan that links to the rear axel with a spring. As you load the car up the body drops in relation to the axle and the valve adjusts the brake bias accordingly. People with lowered non abs cars take note ;

I can't see a spring listed seperatly, so it looks likes it's the whole valve job

MODULATOR, BRAKE,LOAD SENSING X12XE,Z12XE (IDENT CB), 90538301

However it looks like any valve off any Astra G will do the job as long as it has the ident code CB on it. You may find one in a scrappy . The other ident code is CC but that is not listed for a 1.2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Ffoeg,

Thanks for the quick reply and very useful info. I hope to get away without replacing the valve provided it is not seized but as you say the spring itself is not listed as a seperate part. Will have to do some foraging methinks! Thanks for the clear explanation on the load bearing issues. If this is a common failure its certainly something people should watch out for.

Seems like a simple enough fix provided there are no valve issues. Will update as I find out more ...........

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nay probs

It's an easy fix if you can find a spring - just unbolt the bracket on the axle, before you start to give yourself some manoeuvring room. fit the spring and then bolt it back up again.

Not sure about MK4's but on the Mk2 there were some plastic infill pieces on each end of the spring (the hook part)to help locate it and stop it flopping about.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Ffoeg, - quick update. Have been in touch with the local dealer (Opel Ireland) and you are right the spring is not available seperately. Would have to purchase a whole valve kit which includes the spring at a whopping 200 Euro.

To make matters worse I have been in touch with 4 Scrappies so far and absolutely no luck. One guy informed me they tend to just burn the spring off when removing the assembly as they cant be bothered unfastening it as to them it is practically worthless. Also our car is non ABS and as far as I can tell the ABS models had a different setup altogether with no spring involved (correct me if I am wrong) so this further reduces the chances of sourcing a spring.

So far flummoxed. Any ideas???

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bugger

Yeah ABS cars don't have the valve as the ABS sensors monitor wheel lockup and constantly adjust the brake bias on each wheel under braking.

try a few of these....

MegaVaux
    Dixons Vauxhall Spares
    Vauxhall Spares
    Vauxhall Performance Spares Centre

and failing that try ...www.partgateway.co.uk

I'd mention that you def want one and could they rescue one form the next available car they have in - it;s just a case of cutting through the bracket rather than the spring. You might be lucky, other than that it's looking like it's 200 euros time

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok. Hopefully have a lead. Contacted a breakers in Northern Ireland and they have both the valve and the elusive spring out of a 2001 Astra all for for the princely sum of ......... £20 .

Friend of mine collecting for me tomorrow so all being well this will solve the problem. As a matter of interest I didn't think non ABS models went up that far in years to 2001. Just wondered if you have any info on that Ffoeg? Or maybe someone has a non ABS Astra that can comment on the year?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good stuff. Sounds like your gonna get it sorted reasonably cheaply

A rule of thumb...
    All 4 stud astras produced before MY04 are non ABS as standard. From MY04 onwards, 4 studs had ABS as standard.
    All 5 stud cars have ABS as standard (regardless of year)

Now I'm sure, someone will be aching to post something along the lines of...

"I've got a 2001 1.6 8v that's got four stubs and ABS "

Well you might have, because it was available as an option, but it's not standard

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Ffoeg. Absolute brilliant info. First class site this. Quick update for you. Got the spring with its valve attached from breakers. One end of the spring is just a hook. The other end is straight and has a stopper going through the valve lever which is secured to the spring by a tiny little allen key. You know the type ... a lovely little allen key that has been outside in the rain, snow, frost, salt etc.... for all of 8 years clinging on as tight as it can to that spring and nicely exposed to all that weather and debris underneath the car.

No wonder the breakers just cut it off!!

Mechanic took one look at it in its rusty little nest and said not a hope mate. Never get the spring off that. Took it home. Good spray of WD40 and 8 hours to soak. The Allen key seemed to be an old imperial size or maybe Vauxhalls own and luckily I had one that fitted it. Was indeed tight but came away on the first turn so thumbs up for WD40.

Intend to stick this in myself at the weekend as thanks to your instructions it looks simple enough if I can get the bracket on the car out of the way. No plastic infill on the hook part but hopefully that is not significant if I can get it tensioned correctly. So hopefully problem solved barring any other hassle. Will let you know.

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nay probs mate, and cheers for the update.

That's valuable info for the next person who has the same problem. Very interesting to hear how VX have changed the design of the spring etc. I've never seen a genuine Mk4 one, but have had the "pleasure" of encountering these on Mk1's, 2's and 3's in the past, and they have all been the same design, so I assumed that VX in their usually strivefor efficiency (read that as cheapness) wouldn't have gone for anything as intricate as you described

Please add some more gen to the pot when you get it sorted

oh yeah - Plus Gas makes WD40 look like glue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast