Thread: Astra 1.8 CDX 16v Stalling, hesitation and erratic idling

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.8 CDX 16v Stalling, hesitation and erratic idling

I've recently started having problems with my astra to do with erractic idling and inttermitent stalling. It's a year 2000 Astra 1.8 cdx 16v with just over 80k on the clock

I've cleaned out the throttle body which seem to have sorted out the erratic idle but I started to get intermittent problem with random cut outs at low revs / idle or occasional big engine judder while driving (like the engine is trying to stall while i'm driving). When this happens I also get an engine warning light on the dash which usually goes away if you give the engine a good rev.

I read out the ecu fault code with the paper clip trick which gave me 0100 and 0110 which i believe it the mass air flow sensor and the intake air temperature sensor which i believe are in the same unit.

To test the mass air flow sensor I tried unplugging it and then driving the car. This solved the problem and the car drove fine.
    Therefore i thought i should just replace the mass air flow sensor.
    I bought a new sensor from my local motor factors (GSF Car parts) and fitted it myself. I then drove the car for about a mile with no problem and then the engine warning light comes on permanently and the engine is idling very rough, worse than with the old sensor. If i unplug the sensor then the car drives and idles fine again.

Do i need to get any sort of reprogramming or reset done when you fit a new mass air flow sensor? or is just replacing the sensor ok?

The sensor wasn't an original vauxhall one although it did come with 12month warranty, is it possible that the new sensor is already faulty?

Is it possible that the plug or wire itself is faulty and is there any way I can test that?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated?

Another question I have is that although i can read the fault codes using a paper clip i have been unable to clear the codes either by disconnecting the battery for an hour or turing the ignition on anfd off 30 times. On this model of astra do I need a code reader to clear the codes?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your best off getting a proper diagnosis from a vaux dealer, but i bet the new afm is shit. Pattern sensors normally aint worth a piss. Did you take the throttle body off and clean the under side aswell?. Did you clean out the little breather hole in the throttle body?, the pipe that goes into it from the cam cover always blocks up and the hole is only about 2mm. You also need to make sure that the butterfly in the body is clean as a whistle, even on the edges.
    Cheap Vaux mech at your service in Herts/cambs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't remove the throttle body, I just cleaned it out while still attached to the engine.
    I think removing the throttle body might be a bit beyond my diy ability.

Is it really possible that it is still just the throttle body causing the problem?

I assumed that as it works ok with the afm unplugged then that would rule out a problem with the throttle body, otherwise wouldn't the problem still be there regardless of the afm being unplugged or not?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I tell you one thing to check as I have just changed my air flow meter and cleaned the throttle body. With all the messing about I managed to pull a breather pipe out of its home and didn't notice.

It runs directly under the air pipe running from the air box to the throttle body and seems to exit out of the inner drivers side wing. Check this is connected correctly right by the amf as mine was flapping in the wind and caused stalling issues. Worth a look at least.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll have a look for the breather pipes.

A couple of mechanics i have spoken to have suggested that there might be a learning process or settings / error reset of the ecu needed when fitting a new air flow meter.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case with my model of astra? or if it is just a case of changing the afm itself and it should just work.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Changed mine and nothing needed resetting or anything took one off and put the replacement on, which i might add was a cheap one off ebay. Why would I spend the extra on genuine parts when it was that genuine part that failed in the first place. Makes no sence to me.