Thread: Scorption Armrest bought on Ebay.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scorption Armrest bought on Ebay.....

I have red leather interior on my Coupe so last week bought the Scorpion Armrest with red leather top along with Red and black Gear and Handbrake Gaitors.

The Armrest is superb and id highly recommend people buying them. Driving the car is so much more comfy now!!

The one downer is that the red leather on the armrest and gaitors is a lighter red than my interior. Over time this will fade (As my red seats have no doubt done) but does anyone know what to use to Darken the leather on the top of the Armrest??

Ill post pics today/tomorrow so you can all see how the Armrest fits/looks. I know there are not many on here showing it installed!

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    You can get leather colouring kits.

They're normally used to bring new life back to faded/worn leather in older/classic cars, however you can recolour new leather with them.

Not the easiest to DIY, i'd be inclined to pay for it to be done, you may struggle to match the colour perfectly tho.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Keif.

If thats the case then I may well leave it. It doesnt look bad by any stretch so there's no point spending a wad of cash just for a bit darker red on the top of my console!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate, can you post pictues of your gear stick and handbrake gaiters please?
    I was thinking of gettin these off ebay too, wondered how they look fitted?
    How easy were they?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody6983 View Post
    Hi mate, can you post pictues of your gear stick and handbrake gaiters please?
    I was thinking of gettin these off ebay too, wondered how they look fitted?
    How easy were they?
    Hi mate.

No worries ill take some pictures in the next few days. They were fairly easy to fit.

The gear gaitor was the easiest. You need to take out the panel under the handbrake and 2 screws will be revealed that hold down the panel that go's around the gear stick. Once these are undone this will pull out.

Once you have this out you will see that two plastic grippers hold the plastic in place and these really need to be pressed in so you can release the plastic part where the gaitor fits into and holds in place. See pic below. The 2 grippers can be seen on the gear section in a white/grey colour

Its then simply a case of prising the old gaitor out with the help of a small screwdriver and replacing with the new one. There are small "slats" that grip onto the gaitor. You place the new gaitor around and use the screwdriver to push parts of this in so it grips into place. Then you need to pull it over the gear knob and make sure it sits where the old one did. Pull tight the cable tie so it wont move any further - bobs your uncle!

The handbrake section is easy to take out but more of a pain to get the new one installed nicely. Put pressure from both the passenger and driver side and the plastic section holding everything in place will pull out. Then you can pull it over the handbrake so it comes off all together. Do this with the plastic section below the handbrake out as per for the gear gaitor.

Once its out the old handbrake gaitor is held onto the plastic by means of very thick and strong staples. You ideally need an industrial strength stapler to grip your new one to the plastic. However, as I dont possess one of these i cut small inserts into the gaitor so the plastic parts that stick out and slot into the areas where it came from can be slotted back in, while at the same time leaving enough material so it doesnt pull out of place. It took a few go's but have patience and you'll eventually get it nicely in place. Then pull the rest over the Handbrake lever and tightly tie the cable tie - bobs your uncle again!

The pain for me was the back bit. When I first put it back in place, taking the handbrake off meant the material from the back came out of place. Make sure there is plenty at the back to allow for this and youll be fine!

I hope all that makes sense!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would also add that hot glue works as well for attaching the handbrake gaiter, as I also don't have an industrial stapler. Glue gun works a treat though ( and you can always get it off when you want to change it again. )

R

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm gonna print your how to off cheers mate, hopfully will be a great help when i do mine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich101 View Post
    Would also add that hot glue works as well for attaching the handbrake gaiter, as I also don't have an industrial stapler. Glue gun works a treat though ( and you can always get it off when you want to change it again. )

R
    Aha i have a glue gun so i'll try this method to fix the handbrake gaiter cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just used super glue to hold my handbrake gator on and still holding up.