Thread: ERG Valve cleaning

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ERG Valve cleaning

Following this thread ... http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=145193

Just cleaned my ERG valve, took about an hour, I used wd40 as I didnt have any carb cleaner. its a 14,500 mile CDTI 150, you wouldn't have thought it would be that bad. Loads of carbon in there - quick test drive revealed almost no smoke now, before there was smoke at low revs / low speed. More power from cold now, pick up much better.

If you run a diesel and you haven't done this have a look at it. Its an easy job and took me about an hour. Follow the thread step by step.

Thanks to Sticky for posting the How too !

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just cleaned the EGR valve on my MK4 CDTi Astravan.

It revs a lot cleaner through the range, picks up from low revs better, the lumpy tickover is now smooth and a couple of other minor running issues have gone. I also cleaned the throttle valve out as well as the was fairly dirty.

A word of warning though - if you look at the picture of the engine in the link sports-hatch150 posted, see the diesel leak off hoses on the top of the injectors! The plastic bits that push into the injectors are very fragile, they are not sold separately so you have to buy all for connectors and all the hoses etc as a complete unit. £37 with the vat from Vauxhall. (Guess who just spent £37)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone got a picture guide of cleaning the EGR on the older 2.0DTi engines?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymccann View Post
    Anyone got a picture guide of cleaning the EGR on the older 2.0DTi engines?
    if you have a y20dth the egr is at the front of the engine , it looks like a flying saucer with a torq bolt on either side .if you unbold it you can withdraw it straight out to clean, i used carb cleaner to clean the lower part of the egr mind not to lose the rubber seal on the bottom where it meets the manifold .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A word of caution, after cleaning my EGR valve the engine management light went on next day. I put a dose of Redex diesel injector cleaner in and gave it a blast. Light gone back out and fault cleared. Thought for a while it would be a main dealer reset - and I hate VX dealers. Must have left some crap loose in there somewhere, hopefully sorted. I purchased a can of Wynns fuel injection & carb cleaner stuff today so I might take it off again and give it another clean on Saturday.

Im guessing it could do with a proper service, im just not convinced it would get one at local VX dealer. Car is 18 months old with 14,500 miles. Any suggestions welcome. All ive done is had an oil change and cleaned the air filter housing out - and obviously had a go at the EGR valve.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you noticed an improvement in MPG after cleaning the ERG valve?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any guides to how to clean the 1.7 dti ones,,
    cheers