Thread: hello new here and have a few questions:)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hello new here and have a few questions:)

edited 19/01/09

hello all

im new here my names Lee and i am from norwich. found your website through my house mate Gavsy. a few of you might know me as Smee use to drive a fiat brava and a seat ibiza

basically i got me a run around. its a mk 4 astra 2.0 dti SXI. done 108000 and seems to be in good shape.

my questions are

1) does this have a cambelt or chain? found out its a chain

2) if its a chain what do i need to check and at what mileage? according to Vauxhall Dealer there are no check or anything although i find this hard to believe

3) what do i need to do to Dechoke the turbo and egr valve?

4) recomended fixes?

5) any one selling the SRI spoiler lol?

6) any one selling SRI exhaust as my back box is on its way out

7) best place to get parts like wheel hub bearings ect?

that will do for know once i get her up to a running clean state i will be happy. body work is sweet as a nut though

Lee

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for the spoiler and exhaust chek out the "for sale" section on the forum.
    and with helpd with your engine you should take a look at the specific deisel engine section

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cool i been looking round the forum for ages.

i found out its a chain belt so does this mean that i dont have to worry about anything? or are there somethings i need to check at 100k?

will have a look for some bits. found the badgeless grills on ebay for £20 delivered might invest in one of these.

but i wanna get it through the MOT on Wednesday first

Lee

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    cool i been looking round the forum for ages.

i found out its a chain belt so does this mean that i dont have to worry about anything? or are there somethings i need to check at 100k?

will have a look for some bits. found the badgeless grills on ebay for £20 delivered might invest in one of these.

but i wanna get it through the MOT on Wednesday first

Lee
    If i where you I would seriously reconsider those eBay grills, because they are cheaply made, really plasticy feeling, the sort of plastic cheap and nasty chinese toys are made from. maybe invest in a better quality one in the future, perhaps an Irmscher one
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    If i where you I would seriously reconsider those eBay grills, because they are cheaply made, really plasticy feeling, the sort of plastic cheap and nasty chinese toys are made from. maybe invest in a better quality one in the future, perhaps an Irmscher one
    thanks for the hint. will have a look around wanna keep the money spent to a minimum its only meant to be a run around but if the MOT goes ok might end up keeping her longer than i think. so thinking i might do a little to it

Lee

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok a few days in to owning the Astra and here is a few other things i have found.

1) when pulling hte leaver for washer jets you can hear the pump go but its doesnt always squirt water. Guessing there is a block some where or something

2) there is a wollowing sound coming from the passenger side of the car. could this be a bearing on its way out?

3) first time today i started it in teh rain and there was a squeek like a belt squeek so i guess thats the fan belt

4) never noticed it before but it did happen a few times today. ill be driving in 2nd and up to 2000 2500 rpm you can phsyically fill a jolt as it like the turbo or something kicks in. could this mean my EGR and turbo need de-choking?

really enjoying the car just want to get it running sweet as a nut before i start playing with it

Lee

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    another issue lol (these are all small issues mind)

the passenger door makes a loud clanking noise when opening. i think its the catch that is spring loaded.

How mich are these and how easy to replace?

Where is best place to buy cheap Vauxhall Parts.

Lee

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although you wouldnt believe it i do actually work in an office but i just had my wheels off and i found another Issue lol.

the little metal spring that go over the caliper and holds the pad in is f**ked lol

is there an online EPC? or any one kind enough to drop me a copy

would be good to have part numbers than trying to explain to a person on the phone i want this and that

Lee