Thread: astra coup + Cold weather...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra coup + Cold weather...

any of you lot have probs with ur coup in the cold weather? Mine makes really bad noises and the suspension is really dodgy... any advice?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to the club but ur gonna have to be a bit more precise im afraid

"really bad noises"??? any idea where its coming from etc....is it restricted to when its just cold, if so is it just on startup or does it continue

when was the car last serviced? whats the oil leve like etc?

again "suspension is really dodgy" is not the most descriptive - can u explain a bit more

dont mean to sound arsey - just need a little more info then we can help as best we can

also what model of coupe is it and what year?

suspension could be as simple as a broken spring at the rear (common problem) or worn bushes (makes creaking noises over bumps etc) or could be more sinister. Might be time to upgrade to some lowered suspension and replace the lot.... probs the most cost effective way

anyway more info on this and we'll help as much as we can.

Keep us posted

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey, yeah i was a bit vague! sorry!

Ok, so i park on a driveway which is a bit slanted, so i think some of the suspension has pressure on it... so when i move, there are these creaking/grinding noise from the back of her. The car always creaks when i go over bumps when the temp goes below 5 degrees celcuis.

the creaking/grinding noise is usually on the drivers rear side and only does it when it is REALLLYYY cold (i.e the other week when it was -5 outside!)

I want to lower the car, but think maybe new low pro alloys should come first?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh and last service was about 2 months ago...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the creakin will almost certainly be due to the handbrake freezing and locking the calipers on the discs - when its cold, condensation gets into the handbrake cable and freezes
    wouldnt be surprised if this is the cause

the sound over the bumps will more than likely be anti roll bar link rods which cost £25 and take about half hour to replace.

might be good to get the car in the air and with the handbrake released check how the rear wheels move - one of the calipers may even be seized on

if u have an early coupe then u could have the lucas type brake calipers on the rear (identifiable by have 4 ridges on them - other ones are bosch which are smooth) lucas are prone to seizing so i think this is another cause

next time its cold, try n park ur car somewhere flat, put it in first and leave the handbrake off - see if it makes the noises when u pull away this time.

Oh and lowering must come first - do the alloys first and it'll look stupid like a 4x4 lol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its X reg... relatively early?!

hmm ok, so is it a pretty big problem if it is a case of the calipers seizing? I think its gona get cold again this week so will park it on the road over night and see if it is bad in the morning.

whilst on the subject of lowering, any idea how much that is gona cost me? (sorry, im female, i can change a car battery but no idea on much else! lol)

thanks for ur help! x

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i guessed u were of the fairer sex but anyway....

a good budget lowering kit can now be had for less than £150 and that includes 4 shockers and 4 springs. (or even coilovers for about the same price which means u can adjust the height at your chosing) anyway throw in a set of link rods for the front (to eliminate the squeeking) and a decent local garage would probs charge about 2hours labour to fit them

If u want any info on suspension etc drop me a PM and Ill do what i can to help

if u want to save a bit dosh and maybe learn a little bit too why not post in your regional forum on here - im sure loads of members will be willing to lend a hand - i would if u were local - fit the suspension / drop links instead of goin to a garage etc.

may be worth a shot - could save u a good £100+

Seeing as its an X is it a 1.8 or 2.2?

If its a seized caliper its not really a massive job - replacement new calipers cost £50 each and only take a matter of minutes to change, always good to have new discs and pads at the same time tho so the cost could rise

but if this is the case dont worry - ive got a long list of suppliers who can get u parts at extremely competitive rates.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had my coupe lowerd and i'v noticed this past month when its cold as i pull of the drive there is a creaking noise coming from the rear and sometimes the rear wheels feel abit seized for abit but don't really bother me. Just put it down to nasty jack frost

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sound over bumps could well just be the front anti rollbar bushes - these can creak really loudly when worn. The drop links tend to rattle when they are knackered.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah my coupes lowerd 45mm and in the recent cold weather loads of horid noises from springs and breaks etc .. my breaks were kinda on all the time lol and when i let the throttle off i was breaking lol soon wore off tho and now weathers gone cars back to normal