Thread: 2000 Astra Sxi 1.8 16v odb or odb2 ?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2000 Astra Sxi 1.8 16v odb or odb2 ?

hi all sorry if this is a repost but ive bought a u480 code reader off ebay and it wont scan my car so im thinking it might be odb 1 i did try the paperclip thing but couldnt get my head round the codes so i bought this it was cheap and looked like a easy option but my mate was saying cars after 2001 are odb2 and pre 2000 cars are obd is this true ?

gutted if it is as theres hardley any odb readers on ebay there all odb2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    guys anyone know at all ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seeing as ur motor is 2000 then its on the changeover year

If its the early engine (with the cat on the front pipe underneath the car, cable throttle and midi-blade fuses) then its the X18XE1, standard OBDI, U480 will NOT work and the DIY method of reading the ECU is the paperclip test

If its the later model from 2000 onwards (with the cat on the manifold, electronic throttle and mini-blade fuses) then its the latter Z18XE and OBDII compliant - U480 will definitely work on it and the DIY method of code reading is the pedal test

The confusing part is that on the Astra G model the diagnostic port from 98 onwards has always been a 16 pin OBDII socket even though the earlier 98-00 models were still OBDI compliant.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol tell me about it had me scraching my head reading all kinds of things ohh well another useless item in the tool box for now then till i have a use for it at least yeah mines a X18XE1 then i think the cats under the car not on the manifold and its got standard size fuses i thought it was a bit mad as theres not many pins in the obd socket really eather my cars had the egr valve removed so i was eather going to get one and fit it to turn the light off or get a new one and fit it as it should be really so bought the u480 to clear the codes when im done and see if theres any more faults really thanks for the reply anyway pal cheers mark .