Thread: acetone in my fuel tank!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

acetone in my fuel tank!

I took the plunge today and added acetone to my petrol mix. I've read that it increases the octane level of the fuel, making it burn more efficiently. We will have to wait and see if it saves fuel. Noticeably, already, the idle speed has increased - so I presume the engine is running more efficiently without using any extra fuel. As for performance I haven't noticed any difference yet.
    The only concern I have with acetone is that it could melt/dissolve any plastic or rubber components in the fuel system. I guess this would happen gradually over time - luckily I don't have a plastic fuel tank. Be careful not to splash any on paintwork - it'll strip it down to the metal in seconds.
    I mixed acetone to petrol at a ratio of 1:400, which equals 25 ml per 10 litres of fuel. I used a cooking syringe to suck the acetone from the bottle, so I could read exactly how much i was getting, then squirted it as far down the filler tube as I could before adding the petrol. One word of advice - don't open the acetone in the car - the fumes are very strong - I had a head rush from doing this earlier. not good for driving.
    Has anyone else used acetone - good or bad?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    why would you put nail varnish remover in your petrol tank?????

for the risk of all the damage it may or may not cause slowing down and changing your driving habits will have a much greater effect on fuel consumption than adding half the contents of your wife/girlfriends/mum's makup bag.

is there not the risk that the engine is now running lean hence the higher revs (i.e. greater amount of fuel burned = more power = higher revs on idle = piston top damage due to over heating)???? just a thought

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    why would you put nail varnish remover in your petrol tank?????

for the risk of all the damage it may or may not cause slowing down and changing your driving habits will have a much greater effect on fuel consumption than adding half the contents of your wife/girlfriends/mum's makup bag.

is there not the risk that the engine is now running lean hence the higher revs (i.e. greater amount of fuel burned = more power = higher revs on idle = piston top damage due to over heating)???? just a thought
    All the above may be true - yes apparently the fuel burns hotter and this may result in some damage to the piston head and possibly spark plugs. BTW my car is very old (19 years old) and no computer, so I don't think it would be using MORE fuel, I figured the extra idle speed was due to an increase in the efficiency of the available fuel, but I am no expert- however, you can't deny the science behind it: acetone increases the octane level by lowering the surface tension of the petrol, helping it to vaporise more efficiently. I will report back if my mpg changes (currently 35mpg city, and 45-50 motorway).
    I use 100% pure acetone, not the nail varnish remover: which has got other ingredients. I bought 50ml from a chemist for 94p.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    my comment regarding nail varnish remover was a flippent one

also at a ratio of 400:1 it would raise the octane level by about 0.0001.
    acetone is only around 150RON (i believe, may be wrong on this) petrol at 95RON so at 400:1 your octane rating of the fuel in the tank would still be less than buying super unleaded surely

and 25ml per 10litres that would require 2 bottles (assuming a 40litre fill up) which will cost £1.88

divide that by 40 = 4.7p per litre which in some places is more than the difference between regular and super

so i can't see any benefits sorry

its more expenpsive
    may cause damage to your engine
    will strip your paint if spilt when filling up
    and is an unproven science

sorry to dampen your parade but my cars wont be seeing any nail varnish remover in their tanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you seen what Acetone can do to plastics etc....even diluted there,s no way I would put that stuff near my car....keep an eye on your fuel hoses in case it eats into them

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I will just p*** in the tank after a night in the pub would that work

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    my comment regarding nail varnish remover was a flippent one

also at a ratio of 400:1 it would raise the octane level by about 0.0001.
    acetone is only around 150RON (i believe, may be wrong on this) petrol at 95RON so at 400:1 your octane rating of the fuel in the tank would still be less than buying super unleaded surely

and 25ml per 10litres that would require 2 bottles (assuming a 40litre fill up) which will cost £1.88

divide that by 40 = 4.7p per litre which in some places is more than the difference between regular and super

so i can't see any benefits sorry

its more expenpsive
    may cause damage to your engine
    will strip your paint if spilt when filling up
    and is an unproven science

sorry to dampen your parade but my cars wont be seeing any nail varnish remover in their tanks
    If I get good results acetone is available at 5 litres for £15 from my local hardware store which would work out a lot cheaper than super. The science is very much proven by the way. Not sure your working out is correct. I'm not suggesting you should try it though. I'm more interested in replies from people who have tried it or are interested in trying it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll park along side mate, fill her up to.....

Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    I will just p*** in the tank after a night in the pub would that work
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    one member did this on a old polo years ago it did work but cooked the plastic parts on the lines

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    If I get good results acetone is available at 5 litres for £15 from my local hardware store which would work out a lot cheaper than super. The science is very much proven by the way. Not sure your working out is correct. I'm not suggesting you should try it though. I'm more interested in replies from people who have tried it or are interested in trying it.
    the cost calculations are correct

the octane rating is a guess as i don't know how the octane rating of a liquid is calculated but in the same way that a tiny amount of super strong acid is added to a large amount of water the resulting mixture isn't going to disolve your face even if the neat acid would. I can't see how such a small amount will take the octane rating much above the 95RON that regular unleaded is any way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast