Thread: Why am i skidding alot.. TC? ABS?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why am i skidding alot.. TC? ABS?

I have a Astra Turbo Convertible ccurrently on coil overs but moving to lowering springs at the weekend.

Astra Convertible 2.0 Turbo (03 reg)
    -18'' alloys (2 new front tyres)
    -riding on coilovers at about 35mm

I keep getting the traction control light appearing when the turbo kicks in and i feel the whole car skidding. At first i only noticed it going around corners at about 30mph but now it happening when i put my foot down, (just say 30mph in 2nd gear) on a straight. It only comes on for a second howeevr its not the light thats bothering me... its the car skidding.

The other day i was driving along doing about 40mph and suddenly the ABS and Traction Control light came up on the dash and would not dissapear. I pulled over and turned off the engine. I checked the wheels etc and everything seemed normal. I got back in the car, started the engine and everything was fine (warnings had gone).

Currently i am frightened to go round a corner at more than 30mph in case the back end swings out etc.

Does anyone else have this problem at all with the convertable/turbo????

sorry for the long post.... and thanks in advance! Jam
    Astra Cabby Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like you got a dodgy sensor. first thing to do is unplug the sensors on each wheel and give them bit of a blow make sure there clean. reason Abs come on at the same time because the abs and Tc both work off the same sensor. if you still have problem needs to be plugged in to read fault code and will tell you exactly which wheel is at fault.
    Mond

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, i guess that could be the reason why the 2 lights came up on the dash.

But what would explain the car skidding alot when the turbo kicks in or when i put my foot down????

Is this normal? Would anything stop this happening? (apart from slowing down. lol )
    -anti roll bars?
    -tyre typres? (if so which ones)
    -suspension?
    Astra Cabby Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when going up the dual-carrageway in the morning and I boot it mine does the same, I am going to reset the ecu tonight and see if that helps as I had new tires about a month ago.... if not then they must of knocked mine, pain in the arse though, cant boot it!!!
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv just had my coilovers fitted and ever since iv bin skidding really bad, abs light flashes all time even on the duel carriageway, pretty scary really, is this due to them being unplugged?
    rude not 2...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BigString,

Well i am having new lowering springs fitted, new shocks, and new mounts on saturday. Also, i am getting FULL four wheel alignment done.

I will let you know if this helps. let me know if resetting the ECU helps too, and if it does you will let me know how to do it. I am a newb with an Astra. lol.
    Astra Cabby Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    mine skids since coilovers fitted, tracking didnt solve it, thinking of getting a whiteline arb and strut brace soon anyway just to stiffen it all up, think that might help.
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    has it been corner weighed? i mean it may be that one wheel has less/more weight than one of the others. at the end of the day coilovers are great for dropping low but need to be set up properly to get 100% out of them. if they are too stiff then the car will slide on a greasy/damp/wet road (mine did). personally i'd opt for lowering springs over coils anyday, way easier to fit and then go play.

just my tupney worth.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, thanks! Yeah, thats what i thought. Coilovers seem fine but i think when it comes to handling i think lowering springs are going to be better.

I am getting mine fitted on saturday so i will let every one know if it seems better, and put up the pics.

The next mod plans are for a Anti roll bar so hopefully it will stiffen it up a bit.

Thanks for everyones input tho. cheers.
    Astra Cabby Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine was like that on standard suspension. now on coilovers and new tyres its loads better.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing