Thread: squealing noise when turning

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

squealing noise when turning

on my way to work this afternoon, whenever i turned right, i got a squealing noise coming from the left wheel. and the way home i put the window down and noticed i have the same squealing noise from the same wheel when breaking. i know the obvious thing is to check the pads but it is now too dark to see. just want some info as to what i can be or if anyone else has had it. its a zafira gsi '03 plate.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if i remember rightly, the pads have wear indicators in the form of 'squeal plates' designed to annoy you til you get it looked at! when turning corners and squealing is just the start of it, it will get worse!!
    "Its easier to get forgiveness than permission!"

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea i took a look the next day and saw like a metal strip (red line in my very basic diagram) is this the thing you are talking about as it was very very close to the disk and i could see ever so slightly that it has been touching the disk at some point

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my pads are all newish, but they still make this noise.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes rick, the diagram is ok and RIGHT and this is very likely to be the cause! the reason it squeals when cornering is coz its so close to the disc, the wheel gives it that little bit of leverage (almost like bending the disc), making the contact and hense squealing. glad to be of some help!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    'SPIDERCOUPE'.... in your case it sounds like a case of just glazed pads, usually caused by normal - excessive braking. when new pads are fitted, its always advisable to go a little easier on the brakes (leaving a longer stopping distance and lighter application) for approx' 100-150 'around town' miles (obviously no good motorway mileage). failing that, maybe faulty/poor pads.
    to remidy the problem is fairly simple. remove the pads and rub them with emery/glass paper (usually paper face up on a flat surface and pad face down). another good tip... some pads don't come with a 'leading edge' which helps 'bed in' the new pads. filing/sanding (creating) a leading edge will certainly help with squealing/squeeking problems!!