Thread: 1.6 8v problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.6 8v problem

I have heard that there is a problem with the 1.6 8v, aparently they have a breathing problem, is this true?

Just that there was a lot of green gunge under the oil cap before when i was checking a filling up the oil

Is there anyway in which it can be sorted?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this can be cause for short journeys or trips its to do with the moisture in the oil and the oil not getting to temperture perfectly normal, swipe cap clean.

Make sure on the dipstick that the oil is gone mayo as this would indicate a head gasket failure, coolant mixing with the oil.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Totally agree with above, mine sometimes has white mayo under the cap but nothign serious that a long hard drive doesnt sort out.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i first got the car the cam had seized to the head, i had a new cam, cam casing and head gasket replaced about 15k miles ago

ive changed the oil twice since i have had the car in a year and i have seen a little amount of mayo on the dipstick

i dont really do short journeys, mainly long jorneys back and 2 to college bout 50miles each way, other than that hardly use the car, do you think the head gasket may have gone again?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It may be starting to go as mayo on the dipstick is tell tale signs of a headgasket failure due to the coolant mixing with the oil through the head gaslet

You can buy liquid head gasket testers that you put on the header tank and it will change colour, due to the HC coming from the head tank. HC are hydrocarbons. which is un burnt gases.

another way is, to speak to a garage,
    What they could do is use the Sniffer from an exhaust emission testing machine and put the sniffer above the header tank and it will measure the HC's on the display you dont want any HCs at all.

are you finding any difficuit problems starting, way the car drives? over heating? as these as ways that are swaying toward a Head gasket failure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_sxi View Post
    It may be starting to go as mayo on the dipstick is tell tale signs of a headgasket failure due to the coolant mixing with the oil through the head gaslet

You can buy liquid head gasket testers that you put on the header tank and it will change colour, due to the HC coming from the head tank. HC are hydrocarbons. which is un burnt gases.

another way is, to speak to a garage,
    What they could do is use the Sniffer from an exhaust emission testing machine and put the sniffer above the header tank and it will measure the HC's on the display you dont want any HCs at all.

are you finding any difficuit problems starting, way the car drives? over heating? as these as ways that are swaying toward a Head gasket failure.

Do you have or have u ever had a 8v Vauxhall?

If so then youll know these engines are infamous for mayo build up due to poor crankcase breathers

do a bit of research as its been covered numerous times this week - as it always does in winter

check and clean all your breather pipes, whip off the rocker and de-gunk and do another oil/filter change....take it from there buddy

if no oil/water contamination then dont do what everyone else assumes and panic!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Do you have or have u ever had a 8v Vauxhall?

If so then youll know these engines are infamous for mayo build up due to poor crankcase breathers

do a bit of research as its been covered numerous times this week - as it always does in winter

check and clean all your breather pipes, whip off the rocker and de-gunk and do another oil/filter change....take it from there buddy

if no oil/water contamination then dont do what everyone else assumes and panic!

No i havent owned one! If you read what ive said further up the post...

this can be cause for short journeys or trips its to do with the moisture in the oil and the oil not getting to temperture perfectly normal, wipe cap clean

like you said does it in winter. oil not getting to temperture as weather is cold. also the 8v are common to breath badly
    Was only saying that as mayo on dipstuck CAN also possible be a HG that was all.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Was about to say aswell its down to poor breathing problems

Sisters 1.2 8 corsa was the same for like 4 years, but then again, that did eventually pop a headgasket
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for all the help guys, il clean the head out 2morrow as im off work

the tempature gauge doesnt move on the data unless the cars sitting still, would this mean the thermasta is buggered?

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Possibly mate

It could well be stuck open, thus constantly cooling your car, and then its not showing up on your car

hope this makes sense
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here