Thread: Spark Plugs?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Spark Plugs?

Looking to swap my suspected faulty standard NGK spark plugs for some new ones (I suspect they are causing a dip in revs when idling)

I have heard various branded Iridium plugs are good as they burn hotter? Other folks say they dont like them and recommend std GM plugs?

Don't know if I want to get NGK's again as they may be causing the problem. But then again, it might just be a 1 off dodgy plug?

Suggestions would be most appreciated

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Denso Iridiums or Bosch Platinums are both very good...

There are other non iridium plugs out there that will do the job...Do a google search and see what pops up..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had Densos in my std map 230bhp hatch for 1000miles - utter crap

fitted a set of GM twin electrodes at £2 each on trade club - perfect

Just my opinion though - if u have an issue which could be attributed to sparks then I think fitting some standards is definitely a good idea instead of potentially wasting more money on uprated plugs that may be causing the problems.......then again what do i know (nowt)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    I had Densos in my std map 230bhp hatch for 1000miles - utter crap

fitted a set of GM twin electrodes at £2 each on trade club - perfect

Just my opinion though - if u have an issue which could be attributed to sparks then I think fitting some standards is definitely a good idea instead of potentially wasting more money on uprated plugs that may be causing the problems.......then again what do i know (nowt)
    Yea, I think I'll go for the GM twins. How much is postage on trade club for those plugs?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've found this about the spark plugs. It was on the top of the page " Z20LET- tunning basics guide" :
    Spark Plugs
    The most tried and tested spark plugs on the LET have to be NGK Iridium BKR6EIX. These are one grade cooler than standard plugs and allow for a better spark. The standard plugs in the LET are the same as whatís used through out the majority of the Vauxhall range so arenít the best.
    Get these from www.sparkplugs.co.uk . These plugs have been used on stage3 and above successfully.
    From what i know, they are very cold and they have a better respons to the throttle...
    Astra Coupe Z20LET EDS stage 2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by florinike View Post
    I've found this about the spark plugs. It was on the top of the page " Z20LET- tunning basics guide" :

From what i know, they are very cold and they have a better respons to the throttle...
    My Zafira GSi is a standard map, so not sure these uprated performance plugs will make a great deal of difference, plus they are almost twice the price of the standard GM's. All I'm looking to do is get rid of the rev drops I'm getting when the engine is idling, and hopefully the GM's will sort this out.

Thanks for your input everyone! Its much appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    by the time u add delivery on youre best off just gettin them on retail

about £3.30 each + vat

part number 9195109

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is quite a funny post really...

Standard plugs lasted me on a standard mapped car about 6 months before it idled funny. But if you want to buy them then do so lol

When mine was standard I fitted BKR6EIX-11 plugs to mine, they have a larger gap which actually made the car feel much more responsive.
    Arden Astra GSI - Phase 3.5

EDS Phase 3.5 288 BHP 340 FT/LB

Inlet cam and Dbilas manifold.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post

When mine was standard I fitted BKR6EIX-11 plugs to mine, they have a larger gap which actually made the car feel much more responsive.

When I first got my bus it had new VX plugs in and it didn't feel quite right at lower revs, changed to the bkr6eix-11 and it improved matters no end.

Stuff like this doesn't always mean that the wrong plugs are fitted, parts of an ignition system deteriate over time and the spark performance changes it just that its simplest and cheapest to try different plugs/gaps to overcome a problem which may actually be caused by a defficiancy in another part of the ignition system.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Before the service I got the occasional rev drop, but nothing really noticable. (not 100% sure what plugs were in at this point, but I'm guessing they were GM)

After the service with brand new standard NGK plugs installed, the rev drops started quite noticably. (once the engine has warmed up its not as bad though, but does it more when cold/warming up)

I really dont know which ones to get now, I would rather spend a bit more and have good plugs which wont cause problems, but dont want to spend if it wont make much difference, or if it wont sort the problem (wont be right happy if i get more NGK's and my zaf dont like them)

Quite alot of members swear by these Iridium plugs, some say get the 6's others the 7's

Other members are swearing by the GM plugs!

I'm confused!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast