Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Burning Oil

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but i'll ask away anyway

I have a 2008 artra sxi only a 1.4, the car is only 7months old.

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that the engine was makeing a loud noise so i brought it back to the dealer. they checked it out with the computer but didn't find any faults.

They checked the oil and it wasn't registering on the dip stick. they checked it out for leaks but didn't find any!! is it normal for this model to burn 2ltrs of oil in 7 months?? i have done 11k km

Thanks for any responces.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to AOC mate

When the Vauxhall engines are running in, they do use a bit more oil than one that is "run in" so to speak, so its normal

You need to keep an eye on it

Vauxhall says anything up to 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles is burnt aswell
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any NEW engine burns more oil than an old one as the piston rins need to bed in.........should have done that by about the 1000 mile mark id say.........

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anway think yourself lucky.......my engines done 72k and castrol cant make the stuff quick enough for me.........im gonna try some wynns engine flush tomorrow see if that helps..........

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nievil View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but i'll ask away anyway

I have a 2008 artra sxi only a 1.4, the car is only 7months old.

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that the engine was makeing a loud noise so i brought it back to the dealer. they checked it out with the computer but didn't find any faults.

They checked the oil and it wasn't registering on the dip stick. they checked it out for leaks but didn't find any!! is it normal for this model to burn 2ltrs of oil in 7 months?? i have done 11k km

Thanks for any responces.
    From your post do we take it that you didn,t check your oil in 7 months??
    Shame on you..should be checked weekly

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not to sound nasty in anyway but people nowdays ive notice being in the trade that people just expect a car to not need to be checked between services

I think when you take your test now you are told how to and where to check your oil.

You wouldnt take your brandnew HD television back to currys and leave in it the bath the night before and expect them to fix it would you?

so why do people dont look after there cars and do the basic and check there oil and levels.

It might be case that your engine could of had a defect from day one but 7 months a long time without checking the level and on the warranty side they probably wouldnt pay out if you have run your car dry of oil and might of caused permanent damage to your engine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replys. i'll be checking my oil levels weekly from now on!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_sxi View Post
    Not to sound nasty in anyway but people nowdays ive notice being in the trade that people just expect a car to not need to be checked between services

I think when you take your test now you are told how to and where to check your oil.

You wouldnt take your brandnew HD television back to currys and leave in it the bath the night before and expect them to fix it would you?

so why do people dont look after there cars and do the basic and check there oil and levels.

It might be case that your engine could of had a defect from day one but 7 months a long time without checking the level and on the warranty side they probably wouldnt pay out if you have run your car dry of oil and might of caused permanent damage to your engine.
    i think after 7 month he would have noticed if he had run dry of oil.......like seized engine???????????? or more serious damage..............

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes obivously he would notice a seized engine but like the bloke said he didnt notice by not checking his levels because if he did the oil level wouldnt of been low on the dipstick the oil level is not efficient egough to protect the engine causing engine damage! and this may of been done! and how do we know if the serious damage as already been done.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He wouldnt notice excessive wear on parts within the engine tho would he? If he hasnt got substancial oil level, then there is more strain on the moving parts within the engine, but there may not be any signs that there worn of even taken a few thousand miles off the engines life. The whole point is for the oil to lubrciate the moving parts reducing the wear on them hence them lasting longer.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast